Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

reliablity

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:41 AM
gtd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliablity

I just became aware of the allroad, and came to this forum to learn about the car, thought I might buy (a used) one someday. It seems like a real nice car, but that quality/reliability and repair costs are real concerns. Should one buy this car only if money is no object?
thanks for any insight.
gtd
Old 01-16-2006, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In your mind what are you comparing it to? It is a complex car and needs care and feeding.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default RE: Should one buy this car only if money is no object?

Yeah, I wish money was no object for me, but that did not stop me from buying the car. There is no simple answer to your questions, because there are no two identical allroads out there, and every car has its problems. It also depends what you are looking for and whether you actually NEED an allroad. What do you like about the car? Do you want to buy it for the looks, functionality, or both? How much money do you want (have) to spend? What does "I might buy (a used) one someday" mean? Are you aware that the allroad is not made anymore, so whatever is out there, that's it, and the more you wait, the less cars will be available, and the older they will be? These are all questions you have to look at and decide what you want to do... Others will chime-in and provide more input, I'm sure.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well put; couple additional thoughts...

I bought the allroad because it had the following:

1) The comfort and features of a luxury sedan
2) The (high-speed) handling and acceleration of a sports sedan
3) The all-weather capability of a 4x4
4) The utility of a wagon or SUV
5) Uniqueness... not something you see every day

That said, the cost of maintaining a car like this is a real factor. The consensus of a lot of discussions in this forum suggests that you need good DIY ability, a reputable shop, and/or a good extended or CPO warranty to for ownership to make sense.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 AM
gtd

Default RE: Should one buy this car only if money is no object?

I drive a SAAB 9-3 with 90K miles on it. Have had many repairs done on it, and may have the worst behind me for some miles,(or maybe not).

I like all aspects of the allroad that were listed in a response, and used to DIY before houses (and boat) took DIY priority. I can see and understand all your enthusiasm for this car, but just fear, after reading some of the horror stories, as well as the discussions of "ordinary" maintenance, that extreme costs are the norm.

I am aware the car is no longer made, and I'm hoping the urge to have one will pass

thanks for your responses,

gtd
Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You can read horror stories about pretty much any car ever made...

That, by itself, doesn't mean anything. If you don't want to DIY, then you can find a car with extended warranty, which should give you some peace of mind. Yes, it will be more expensive to maintain than a SAAB 9-3, but then, you get what you paid for. Do yourself a favor, and test-drive one if you can, then we can talk again...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Like Scotty said.... "the more they play with the plumbing...

the easier it is to stop up the drain."

There is a lot of plumbing on the allroad... which gives it more areas for something to go wrong.

The TWIN TRUBO SYSTEM.. one dies you replace both.

The Air suspension: 4 air bags springs, compressore, air distribution maniforld, multiple sensors at each wheel, all the lines, etc. Plus this system is tied in to the auro leveling headlights, the ABS, and more.

That being siad.. I love my allroad. Now at 87,000 miles. It has needed more warranty work than any car I've ever had.

But I still love it.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Read "Blown Turbo" Thread
Old 01-17-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Love Affair

Well.....I had never seen an AR before I saw mine..I had a 2003 Acura 2.7 tl type S...(fast car)..and really liked that car, but my wife and I were expecting our first child and she had expressed to me that she did'nt think the TL was "safe" enough to be transporting a new baby in. My wife has always liked to lease vehicles and had a Jeep Grand Cherokee (junk) which the lease was about to run out on....I needed a new car...I was looking at Passats, and trying to convince my wife that she did'nt need another American Made hunk o' junk, when I saw it...beautiful...what?!!!..It's twin turbo?..All Wheel Drive?....adjusting suspension?...I have to convince my wife that she needs this car.

On the drive to her work-place (to show her the car), I fell in love with the AR. When my wife saw it she said, "I'm am not, ever, driving a station wagon" My heart sank, because I had just traveled about 25 miles (at 120 mph) completely convinced my wife would jump at driving an Audi...I was wrong..what did I do?..

I drove the car back and immediately made the deal...trading my 2003 TL type S for the 2001 Audi Allroad...bought the extended warranty and never looked back...

Since that day my wife (who went out and got herself a loaded TrailBlazer EEEEEEEK)has wished that she made the car hers...and quite frequently has told me that she wished that she was the car, considering how much I still love the car..

I'm sorry to be so long-winded about this, I am trying to get this point across. The Allroad is everything I wanted in a car...I worked my way through college bar-tending and working Ski Patrol in the mountains of North Carolina (still a SeaHawk fan) and use to Rally my '95 GTI up Beech Mountain in the snow. Now my wife and I make about 95K a year and are trying to pay off student loans and credit cards, buy a house, etc.

The AR has been to the dealer twice in 20k miles..once to fix the passenger side window track..and the next time to fix the sagging front left air bag ($100)

I don't care what happens to this car..I will sell my dog to replace the turbo's (if I ever need to...sorry Cosmo). It is a love affair.

If you want an AR look now...find one you can buy the extended warranty on...test drive it...if you are gonna own one..you will know it the first time you get on the interstate..

If you want...I will sell you mine for $250,000