Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

RMcQ - have you learned anything new about your suspension / electronics lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMcQ - have you learned anything new about your suspension / electronics lately?

I recall you were going to try some new things out. Just curious.

Hope all is well,
Nick.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've come full circle. I am back to having the Susension module and sensors plugged in.

I should point out that I have had success in making all lights go out and stay out on the cluster, but this is not good enough. I need to be able to turn off ESP so I can get frisky without electronic nannies shutting down the fun.

Various attempts:

1. Totally remove suspension module and unplug all wheel sensors. Result - When I disable ESP it re-enables itself after a minute or two. And sometimes I got the headlight leveling warning light which locks out the ability to disable ESP.

2. Plug in only right left side wheel sensors as they are the ones powered by the headlight circuit. Result - When I disable ESP it re-enables itself after a minute or two.

3. Put the suspension module back in the car but plug in only the big connector, not the little one - I think there was no change.

4. Plug both connectors on suspension control module and back to ability to disable ESP, suspension thinks it is on level 1 (lights all working) and get suspension warning light if I put a large load in the vehicles as it realizes it can't level itself.

Overall #4 is the lesser of the evils as I don't need to disable ESP if/when I am hauling stuff or lots of people. But I do need to disable ESP when I want to watch the boost needle swing right past 25 psi and feel as if the 2nd engine kicked in.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Default This is interesting as when my suspension ECU was out I COULDN'T disable

ESP by the button at all...it did though seem to be still on as you found...I could send you my "bad" one as that one I know didn't allow ESP to engage...and I had the harrowing trip in snow/ice to prove it...do you want it?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Thanks, this helps. And, I'm in total agreement with you. The reason I asked...

is because I'm considering an extended warranty through Bruce M. (INDS). This decision is tearing me apart. (Bruce, if you're reading, you'll be getting a phone call monday morning).

Not only are there dollars/value of car/expected retention time calculation, there's the fact that, at present resale value, the car is irreplaceable. There's also there's the fact that 4K would go a long way to making my car the semi-monster I want it to be - but then I'd be exposed to all those unanticipated "gifts". But if I get the warranty, then put in K04's, DP's, Exhaust, etc, any warranty company could just blame any failure on that. It's a head swimmer.

The reason your answer helps is because since there appears to be no real 100% easy solution to gutting the airsusp, I'm prone to keep it - which means a lot more that could go wrong - which is a pro for the extended warranty.

Anyway, I appreciate it. I'm inclined to 1. Get the warranty. 2. When I have extra cash, start freaking the car anyway. 3. Have fun. 4. See what happens.

What do you think?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What if... you plug it all in...

and take off the cam arms to the sensors. This might stop them from sensing the heavy load.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm, the trying to lock the sensor position didn't work, but this sounds interesting.

I don't know if the fact that it's 4:00 am make any difference? : )
Old 04-05-2008, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A while back I tried locking the height sensors at precisely 0.00mm deflection

as see in VAG-COM. I figured this would keep everything happy all the time, but it didn't. I would get the headlight leveling light.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Give Steve Eiche (pr. eye-key) a call @Shade Tree

303-940-2468 Steve Eiche and Dave Jones of S-Line here in CO just re-programmed my ECU to think it's an A6, got all the dash lights working properly & ESP on/off works great as well.
HTH

TT
Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Help me understand. if you unplug the suspension modules in the rear, all the lights

will go out, but you can't disable ESP?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, pretty much. I can disable ESP momentarily, but it re-enables itself after a short while.

Quick Reply: RMcQ - have you learned anything new about your suspension / electronics lately?