Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Road Trip Driving Impressions - 2009 A6 3.2 CVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip Driving Impressions - 2009 A6 3.2 CVT

Hi All,

My trusty allroad is in the shop getting new brakes, oil change, prop seals and oil pan gaskets.

I had to go to LA with the girl this weekend so my service manager loaned me a 09 A6 3.2 CVT S-Line in dark silver with black interior.

Have never been a fan of CVTs - they always feel ropey and just plain weird. But after putting on 900 miles in 3 days, my impressions have changed...somewhat.

The A6 CVT is front wheel drive so there is some troque steer but nothing like a saab turbo from the bad old days. That said, this CVT works pretty well and does not exhibit the lag and ropey feeling as others from, say, Nissan. It also has a manual mode with 7 "speeds" which convincingly impersonates a regular 7 speed slush box.

Now for the real kicker - With the cruise control set at 85 and spurts up to 100 (Weee!), I still managed 33 MPG all day long. Combined city (tooling around LA) and highway (Interstate 5) I managed 28 MPG. I gassed up in SF (16 gallons) and did not fill it up again until I headed back North 2 days later. Amazingly, a tank full has a range of over 450 miles!

In comparison, my oldroad gets 22MPG on the freeway if I'm lucky, and 17 MPG around town with no hill driving. From SF to LA I have to stop to gas up at least once each way. Saved a ton of $$ this weekend.

Around town the A6 felt like a typical large front wheel drive car, so nothing exciting to report. But on the freeway, the tack read 2000 RPM at 85 MPH and when called upon, the V6 screams to redline, all very linear and smooth. The soundtrack is not bad either.

If I had to commute or travel long distances regularly, this A6 would be at the top of my list. It's very comfortable, quiet, smooth, and looks great. It hunkers down and feels better as speeds rise. And it's surprisingly quick. Oh, and the MMI - I'm a convert. It's awesome.

In the end though, I still love my allroad uber alles! Can't wait to get her back and break in the new rotors and pads and probe the limits on the new Falken Ziex 912s. Stay tuned for impressions on the new shoes in a few weeks.

Robert