Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

roof rack advice weighing cost, functionality, and looks. OEM, Yakima, Thule?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof rack advice weighing cost, functionality, and looks. OEM, Yakima, Thule?

For my 'new to me' AR, not the S4.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Went with Yakima since...

I went with Yakima as the same risers fit our Grand Cherokee as well. Mostly use them for kayaks and I put them on and take them off every time otherwise, even with a deflector the wind noise drives me nuts
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thule for me, due to accessories already owned. --->

Thinking about buying another set of 450 Crossroad's and Load bars. Getting tired of the r&r of the bars, on my box (convenience factor).
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Stätus Josh

Iim waiting to find a Thule setup on sale... I have a nice packasport box ready to go on
Old 02-03-2007, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I found OEM on eBay. It looks like it's a cost preference for everyone so far.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Having sold both and owned both I prefer Yakima.

Way back when I worked in a ski shop that sold both, I decided I liked Yakima. When my wife and I got married(she had Thule) we switched back and forth a few times and settled on Yakima. IMO, the Yakima accesories are better designed and much better built. One of the best selling points on them(this doesn't matter to ar) is the round bars, they allow the rack accesories to stay parallel even if the roof they are mounted to is not flat, in fact the towers will twist a little if the gutters/rails are not parallel. An extreme example we used to sell them is mounting the rack on a VW Beetle, not only is the roof round, but if you looked down on one, the gutters are hourglass shaped, no other rack will work in that situation. One other thing, I have seen crossover mounting clips that will allow some accesories to be used on either square or round bars. Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

great comments. I have a Yakima system for my S4. I can salvage the bars and bike attachments.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Running w/Yakima Skybox Pro 16

I installed the Skybox Pro 16 cargo box about a month ago since I already had Yak parts from a prior vehicle. $425 at local retail - I probably could've found it cheaper, but I needed it ASAP.

This one is silver and goes well w/my silver AR. It holds quite a bit of extra gear, opens on both sides, locks on both sides, etc. - pretty standard features. It DOES add some wind noise which is more a problem if the interior sunroof vanity thing is not closed. Things quiet down almost entirely if you pull the vanity over the sunroof....hope that makes sense!

I have an 18 mo old daughter and a 50 lb lab. Without the cargo, I couldn't really take the AR whenever I need to travel. But with it, I did a good trip with 3 adults (grandma came along....), the kid and the dog - and quite a bit of gear. It was still tight, but without the cargo it would have been impossible (literally!).
Old 02-04-2007, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default think about what u want to carry and when, i run yak base & thule box,trays

yak bars and towers year round
in the warmer months, narrower bars, two thule trays where u dont have to take the wheels off and fit os tires/bikes (best tray out there for bikes, also look at sportworks)

in the winter, wider (date wrecker) bars, that have since been trimmed down 2 bike trays and a thule box

I think yak stuff is a big higher qual

either way, as others mentioned, you get wind noise/resistance

also the bars on the roof are not the strongest + with bikes and bumpy roads you can put quite a twisting on it and I imagine could damage bars, roof or both<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/174924.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/174924.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 AM

Default I love the oem rack. Once set up, comes on and off in two minutes....

And looks great too.

Quick Reply: roof rack advice weighing cost, functionality, and looks. OEM, Yakima, Thule?