Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 05:58 AM
tpg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats

Is it just me or are the allroad seats the incredibly uncomfortable? I just got the car, so maybe the leather breaks in over time.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: My two bits on the seating...

I just finished a 400 mile trip from Seattle to Portland and back this weekend. My allroad has just over 3000 miles. This is the second trip in a month. The seats are firm, but make a long trip very worth while.

While driving back I was noticing how incredibly smooth the allroad is on the highway. I cruise at around 80 with infrequent bursts up to 100 and still the allroad is quiet and totally comfortable.

Not sure how long you've had your allroad, but give it time and you will learn to appreciate the firm seats - imho.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:56 AM

Default I'm with you on this

VW/Audi makes hard 'orthopedic' like seats. My wife and I have never felt as fresh travelling long distances...and we've never taken longer trips than in our Audi(s).

Round Trips:
#1) Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) to Indiana, to D.C and back to DFW via the south
#2) DFW to Taos, NM
#3) DFW to Los Angeles

I've never wanted to do a road trip more than 8 hours with my previous cars. But the Audis have since changed my opinion on this guideline.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I second that... Our trip to Minneapolis and back (1200+ miles) was very comfortable, with none of the usual fatigue or back pain I've experienced in lesser cars. And they probably won't turn to total mush over time as softer seats might do.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are of average build you should find the seats more than comfortable. I previously drove a 99' ML430 and we also have a BMW540ia sport.
The seats in the allroad are rather firm and I feel you do need to make more adjustments to find the most comfortable position as compared to my ML430.
Last Sat I took a trip from MA to NY and back for a cookout. Total distance was 500mi round trip and it was all done in less than 12 hrs, including the cookout. I thought I would be dead the next day but was none the worse for wear, thanks to the allroad.
One thing to consider is the driving enviroment. It is great in the allroad and contributes to reducing stress levels as well as fatigue while driving.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:52 AM

Default I have to agree with tpg

I've had the allroad for about 10 days now, and have not gone on any trips longer than two hours, but I have noticed that it is hard to find a position that does not fatigue my lower back after 45 minutes. I figure there has to be an adjustment (either of the seat or of my back!) that will work, because I was able to drive my last car (a 1993 Saab convertible) for 6 hours or more non-stop without any discomfort. I must admit, though, the Saab was the only car that I have found where the seat remained comfortable for the entire trip no matter how long. (Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that the Saab was a manual, and clutching helped to exercise my back while driving?? But then again, I didn't clutch much going 6 hours on Route 5 from SF to LA.)
Old 08-06-2001, 12:18 PM
sal
Audiworld Junior Member

What about the lumbar adjustment?
Old 08-06-2001, 01:22 PM

Default Audi should have an ergonomics program to teach us the best seating position..

When you find it, the allroad's seats are great for long trips. I like all VW/Audi products lots in that reguard.

I had to sit in a volvo for a while last week. Ugh.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:50 PM

Default Re: What about the lumbar adjustment?

Still playing around with that. It seems like more lumbar support is worse. Oy -- maybe this is what's supposed to happen when one approaches 40.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:57 PM
sal
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What about the lumbar adjustment?

Maybe it reverses itself at 50. Anyhow, I use slightly less than maximum lumbar support and it feels great. I'm getting ready for a long car trip and will provide feedback.

Quick Reply: Seats