Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Seeking Insights on Satellite Radio Tuner Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Insights on Satellite Radio Tuner Issue

I've got an `04 allroad. When I bought it in `06 the sat radio was not working and I replaced the tuner box in rear, then in `09 that tuner box went bad and I bought another one, which has now gone bad as well.

What am I missing? There don't appear to be any shorts in the system, there are no physical "bumps or bruises," no warning indicators, no static or the like; it just stopped working one AM when I got in, turned one the car and went to tune in sat. radio.

The XM people are no help @ all (now there's a shocker, huh?), and I'm ripped that I have to drive around listening to commercial radio, CD's, etc. for the time being while I sort this out…again.

I have tire pressure sensors & NAV, but those are fine. Am kind of pissed that every 2-3 years it seems I'm spending some $400+/- on a new/used XM tuner box.

Anybody w/ insight or thoughts and will share – I'm all ears. Thanks!

DK
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Buy a plug n play and attach it through a Dice.I know Sirius was running life time subscription which you cant get on a factory installed unit and if you can it's not transferable
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks will check it out. Am not sure XM & Sirius allow one to xfer between services. I know they are 1 co. now but they've kept users from both services seperate. Plus they are a pain to deal with.

Ug....such a bummer, I want to use the Audi installed controls, not add after market pieces.

Can I really have gotten 3 bad tuners boxes?? Jeeesh!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DarkKnights
Thanks will check it out. Am not sure XM & Sirius allow one to xfer between services. I know they are 1 co. now but they've kept users from both services seperate. Plus they are a pain to deal with.

Ug....such a bummer, I want to use the Audi installed controls, not add after market pieces.

Can I really have gotten 3 bad tuners boxes?? Jeeesh!
Still have one of your old (dead) modules? I've read about it being a somewhat common occurance for the sat modules to start oxidizing internally which will affect reception. The antenna is also prone to failure, but obviously that isn't the issue as replacing the module fixes the problem. Maybe try tearing down an older module to get a feel for it, then going to town on the one that recently stopped working.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hmmmmmm interesting, will try as I have some old ones.

Thanks!