Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Sell as is ...or part it out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell as is ...or part it out?

My 2001 AR has 130K on it. I still owe abt $3200 ...$15K in trans, turbo's, etc. is why I haven't paid it off yet. Right now it has brand new tires, the infamous valve cover leak, and a leaking right front bag.

Would I get more out of it selling or parting it out? I was thinking of selling for around $6K. Thoughts?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have any pictures? I'm always shopping for cars
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Might be tough to get $6k but anythings possible; $6k seems fair. You'll get a lot more than $6k if you part it out of course; perhaps double?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Knowing what type of package, color, wheels etc. your allroad came/comes with will definitely help break down the price between parting it out vs selling it as is.
You say you have 15k in tranny, turbos etc. can you be more specific? what has been replaced? when? at what intervals?
That will help sway the, "Knowing the history, I may just buy it" Type of buyer.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

How much does it cost to fix the Valve cover leak ?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by adobian
The valve cover leak is a simple but time consuming DIY, if you are only doing the VCGs? the cost to fix them would only be less than $50 dollars.
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html
Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default are you sure it is the gasket?

Thought that would solve mine....wrong.

After I'd done mine and got some records from the last shop to work on my car with the previous owner...turns out they had replaced it and the related cam tensioner seals too!

Did I feel like a sucker....yep!

So now mine smokes at a slow simmer.... only a few drops of oil a day actually falls off the bottom....

Taking it in to get it looked at again. Different Shop!

Last shop told me it was the Valve cover...so I replaced that.... so I'm thinking this is a likely problem ...but also one that can be toooo convenient for a shop to diagnose.

I see why they want to do it though, it sounds hard, but it really isn't that bad once you get the the Valve covers. So for a Shop I'm betting this is an easy 1k fix...and when it doesn't work...oh...well it looks like that is leaking too Mr Paying Customer... Ka Ching! $$$
Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The leak is not from the valve cover gasket!

Originally Posted by adobian
Most of us, including me, waste our time and/or money by changing the valve cover gasket and still have the oil leak and burning oil smell coming through the vents of the car.

Don't cut corners, replace the Timing chain tensioner gaskets, camshaft seals, and cylinder head plugs. To do the job correctly, the timing belt will have to be removed. Change belt, water pump, and thermostat if not recently done.

If you do it yourself you save $$, if not, you may as well sell the car. Dealers want big $$ for this.

Paring out will yield big $$ but it takes patients. The wait can be long, along with the fact that money will come in slow and incremental. Also, you may left with parts you just have to dump.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You are all correct.

I replaced the cam-chain-tensioner-seals as well. However, as we all know, you never know if you got it right until you've driven a while. (grrr!) They may need to be re-done. Anyway, some of you asked for more info based on my original request...

2001 Audi allroad 2.7t - Tiptronic

Addons:
* Hotchkis Sport sway bars -- front and rear
* Revo Technik chipped / tuned -- I will include control unit to turn on and off.
* Custom "piggy pipe" down-pipes and pre-cats of exhaust
* Samco throttle body boot -- the originals crack and leak
* Forge Turbo Bypass Valves -- the originals fail...these can be cleaned and maintained

Maintenance:
* New Tires -- replaced at 130,000
* Turbo's, Timing Belt, Water Pump -- replaced at about 85,000
* Transmission replaced at about 90,000
* Front air-springs, Suspension pump, valve-block, and control module replaced at about 100,000
* Alternator replaced at about 125,000
* HID bulbs replaced at about 100,000
* Fuel filter replaced at about 110,000
* Coil-packs and plugs replaced at about 125,000
* CV joints -- replaced both axle assemblies (inner and outer CV's) at 120,000

Known issues / needs:
- Has oil-leak from valve covers -- This is a known issue with nearly all 2.7T's. Valve cover gaskets need to be done.
- Right front air-spring leaks at level 1
- Dash info display has bad pixels - another normal Audi issue. Regular gauges work fine.

----
Still trying to decide whether or not to part out.

Thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1FSTWGN
I replaced the cam-chain-tensioner-seals as well. However, as we all know, you never know if you got it right until you've driven a while. (grrr!) They may need to be re-done. Anyway, some of you asked for more info based on my original request...

2001 Audi allroad 2.7t - Tiptronic

Addons:
* Hotchkis Sport sway bars -- front and rear
* Revo Technik chipped / tuned -- I will include control unit to turn on and off.
* Custom "piggy pipe" down-pipes and pre-cats of exhaust
* Samco throttle body boot -- the originals crack and leak
* Forge Turbo Bypass Valves -- the originals fail...these can be cleaned and maintained

Maintenance:
* New Tires -- replaced at 130,000
* Turbo's, Timing Belt, Water Pump -- replaced at about 85,000
* Transmission replaced at about 90,000
* Front air-springs, Suspension pump, valve-block, and control module replaced at about 100,000
* Alternator replaced at about 125,000
* HID bulbs replaced at about 100,000
* Fuel filter replaced at about 110,000
* Coil-packs and plugs replaced at about 125,000
* CV joints -- replaced both axle assemblies (inner and outer CV's) at 120,000

Known issues / needs:
- Has oil-leak from valve covers -- This is a known issue with nearly all 2.7T's. Valve cover gaskets need to be done.
- Right front air-spring leaks at level 1
- Dash info display has bad pixels - another normal Audi issue. Regular gauges work fine.

----
Still trying to decide whether or not to part out.

Thoughts?

All I can tell you is from what it needs;

- the VCGs are pretty easy yet time consuming.https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

-Right from air springs can be had for cheap if you buy used or get Arnott's lifetime Warranty. Plus here is a DIY to replace: http://allroadfaq.com/main/index.php...sion&Itemid=67

-Dead Pixels= PM member K0mpresd He does an awesome job for next to nothing!!! Here is his site/price: http://gsoconsolesource.com/index.ph...&products_id=9

All I'm saying is that's not that bad of a to-do list... ESPECIALLY That list of maintenance already done, you are more than half way there!!!. If you are dead set on selling her? well, I can understand, and wish you the best of luck!!!

Quick Reply: Sell as is ...or part it out?