Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Semperit SportGrip snows update- in a word - Fantastic!.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Semperit SportGrip snows update- in a word - Fantastic!.....

Here in the Chicago 'burbs, we got sleet, freezing rain topped by an inch or so of slush. Had to chip my way into the car this AM. Went out early to try the snows before the plows hit the streets (which in my town is not until after their morning coffee, 3 donuts, cigarette break, next coffee etc.)

On the ice, these tires are supurb for traction. Compared to my Pilot Sport A/S (last A6 too) these tires pull well. Stopping on ice is much better than Pilots, but it's still ice.

On the slush and other crud- I was amazed at how well the tires gripped. Good traction and lateral grip. Still get the ESP engaging, but not nearly as much. When turned off, ESP hardly came into play.

On wet roads, these tires are every bit as good as the Pilots. And actually more comfortable riding (H-rated vs. W-rated).

On dry, after 400 miles of use, these tires still amaze me. For an inexpensive tire they have better grip than the OE Goodyears. Very predictable and balanced. And still very quiet on all road surfaces but textured concrete- then they have a low level rumble. But still way better than the Goodyears.

Any disappointments? Well, I was hoping for a bigger improvement in braking. Granted, braking performance is a whole lot better than the Pilots offer, but I suspect the unidirectional tread pattern of the Semperits is biased toward traction and lateral grip.

All in all, a great snow tire, especially for the $$. 225/55HR-17 from Discount Tire for $99 each mounted and balanced. With tax- $428 total.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the report!
Old 01-19-2004, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

know a guy w/semperit on a sti and he is happy w/them also