Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Service Nightmare: Audi of Manhattan (Zumbach)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Nightmare: Audi of Manhattan (Zumbach)

I recently took my '02 AR (which is still under the extended CPO warranty) into Audi of Manhattan (Zumbach) for a scheduled 40K maintenance and for an alignment. I also complained about issues with the steering (a minor vibration on tight turns at speed) and specifically asked them to check the CV boots. The moment I walked in, the service rep gave me the hard sell -- tried to get me to pay $300 to remove a minor, golf-ball size dent in a door panel, warning me that if I didn't take care of it now the paint might start cracking and then I'd need to fix and paint the whole panel. Also suggested I buy some engine additive. He also told me an alignment would be around $300. He did say that he would rotate the tires for free and take a look at the balance to see if that was responsible for the steering issue I had mentioned. He also said that a check of CV boots and joints was a standard part of the maintenance.

Anyway, my bill was just under $1200 for a scheduled maintenance plus alignment plus dent removal (haggled him down to $150), with NO PROBLEMS FOUND. They also charged me $60 for the wheel rotation. "Your car is in great shape," the man said. Best touch: without asking, they screwed in "Audi of Manhattan" license plate holders. No charge for that.

I drove home (in traffic that did not permit me to test the car), and a couple of days later set off with my family on a 250 mile drive at night to upstate New York. Within a moment of getting on the highway I realized that the steering column was literally shaking and vibrating in my hands and the newly-"aligned" car was pulling to one side. It was too late for a mechanic, so I just drove the remaining way to my destination and took the car into an independent shop the next day. Turns out, one of the CV boots had completely cracked, the grease was gone from the shaft, and the whole thing needed to be replaced. According to the mechanic, the boot must have been cracked for weeks, judging by the condition of the shaft and the absence of grease. The alignment was off, and the wheels were seriously out of balance. I got the repair work done (including $%00+ for the CV kit) and called my guy at Zumbach Audi.

When I told him about the CV joint and asked how the technician could have missed it, he said "that's impossible" and speculated that I must have damaged it by hitting a block of ice on my drive. On the other stuff, he just argued with me and then told me he needed to transfer me to his service manager. He transferred me mid-sentence, and I was deposited straight into voice mail. I have now exchanged a couple of voice messages with Audi of Manhattan, but I am bracing myself for a fight. This isn't the first time I have had issues with this dealership (including having a feeling that they didn't do any of the work they said they did and do not diligently examine cars that are under warranty).

Couple of questions:

1. Any suggestions about how to deal with this? Unfortunately the independent mechanic I used forgot to save the old cracked CV boot, but I do have a detailed invoice as well as before and after printouts for the re-alignment.

2. Do you know if I can submit the receipts from the independent mechanic to Audi so that I can collect on my warranty, or does warranty work need to be done by Audi shops only?

Sorry about the long post, but I am pretty pissed about this -- these guy stook my money and sent me and my family on the road with a car that may have been less safe to drive than it was before I brought it in. I do not want to accuse them of dishonesty (as opposed to mere negligence) before I give them a chance to resolve the situation, but suffice it to say that I have serious concerns.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd dispute the charges w/ the cc company, if you can.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Good luck to you but it seems very difficult to tackle the dealer...they always have a good answer

for everything.
Cheers,
V,
Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I'd dispute the charges w/ the cc company, if you can.

Thanks, I did in fact do that, and the result has been a couple of voice messages from the dealership.

I think way to go will include a fierce letter to Audi of America pointing out that if you can't get reliable warranty service from an Audi shop in this area there is no point in ever buying an Audi.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do a complaint at Better Business Bureau. Sometimes they care.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Service Nightmare: Audi of Manhattan (Zumbach)

Good luck with the letter. I'm on my third Audi in spite of generally crappy service. I thought Zumbach was bad until I started using a Westchester dealer since it was now closer to home. Zumbach did do me a favor exactly once in the ten years I've had Audis, and that was after a lot of shouting (including them at me).

My allroad is almost at the end of the lease and the warranty (yes, 4 year lease - I thought it made sense at the time since I didn't see the need for a new car after 3 years), but I cannot see buying it out. It feels like the problems are just beginning.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Service Nightmare: Audi of Manhattan (Zumbach)

What puzzles me is that I thought the dealership had an incentive to do do warranty repairs since they get compensated by Audi of America. I guess it's easier to charge for hours of labor, not do the labor, and then try to squeeze more dollars out by proposing expensive, unnecessary body work.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've heard that dealer-performed warranty repairs are reimbursed by audi at a lower rate ...

... than dealers' regular to-the-public hourly rate. So, if it's a busy shop, they may try to avoid warranty work.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First, didn't know that anyone still uses this dealership for services, they have accumulated one

of the worst recommendations over years and pissed off quite a few Audi owners. So you are not alone.
Go accross the road to Riverside Audi and let them evaluate the entire thing. Get a print out of the result and approach AoA.
If Zumbach (as you suspected) didn't perform the tasks you paid for then you'll have the paper in hand to approach AoA and negotiate.

Putting on the License plate frame is (IMHO) an insolence, send them a $1200.00 bill for advertising charges ;-)

And next time try to post on the NY/NJ forum before taking the car to any dealer, these local guys will tell you where not to go.....one main reason why I use KMD all the time and not a the dealer.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM

Default Dealers generaly get paid 2/3 of what retail would be, under warranty, there is NO incentive to do

warranty work, actually it's the opposite

Quick Reply: Service Nightmare: Audi of Manhattan (Zumbach)