Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Shipping an Allroad: Tie-downs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping an Allroad: Tie-downs?

I recently sold my Allroad to an out of state buyer. He's looking into shipping and DAS has told him that the AR needs to be shipped in an enclosed carrier because it has no tie downs. I looked this morning, and it appears that there's a spot for a tow hook to be attached behind the pass. side lower grille. In the rear, there is a tow hook also. Is this all that's needed for transporting the car?

If the spot on the front pass side is for a tow hook, where is this hook located? Sorry, the car's at home and I'm at work or I'd look for myself!

If anyone has ever shipped an AR, I'd like to hear how you did it. What carrier, enclosed or not, etc. It's going from Cleveland to Colorado Springs.

Thanks,
-Brett.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine was shipped from NJ to CO on an open carrier.

I'm not certain, but I thought they used wheel straps to secure the wheels to the trailer. The driver didn't make any comments about trouble, nor did the originating shipper (an Audi dealer).

I'd call a different shipper.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new audis come in open carriers...

just remember to leave instructions for locking the suspension. With a chained car, the pump could overheat when it tries to adjust it.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:13 AM

Default I see them shipped all the time on the Interstate near me...one thing I have noticed though they are

in open car carriers they almost always are on the inside spot...maybe just to protect them but that is one thing I have noticed and it makes them harder for me to check out when I'm passing them
Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 AM

Default As an extra note of caution put the directions on a sticky (the really sticky ones) on

the dash...that way no matter who is loading/unloading they know about the suspension lock issue...I use this when I take mine in, even to my German indy...I know how sad, but it works.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Eye bolt for front is in toolkit in left rear cargo area. There's a rear tie-down loop too.

Take out the toolkit, and look for a bolt that has an eye hole on one end. It's a pretty sturdy hunk of steel.

Pop off the plastic grill/fog light cover (no tools needed) that surrounds the front passenger side fog light in the lower bumper. The eye bolt screws into the hole at the back of that cavity. The bolt's eye hole will just barely protrude out past the bumper cover. I would tape a rag on the bumper so a tie-down chain would not damage the plastic. It's more like a tie down-and-a-little-bit-forward kind of clearance. There is no bolt hole on the driver's side.

The rear has a tie-down loop welded to the bottom of the spare tire hump. It's on the passenger side. It's kind of wimpy. I wouldn't try towing your buddy out of a ditch with it. Nor would I winch the allroad up a flat-bed truck's ramp. But it should be perfect for transport.

Unless the shipper has to tie down at opposite corners, I don't see why they object. They do have to monkey with the fog light cover.