Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Should I risk buying it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I risk buying it?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on whether or not to buy an '03 Allroad 2.7T. I test drove it for about 10 minutes and thought the acceleration was good was but not fantastic for Bi-Turbo. I didn't remember to check the air ride system at it's different levels. I own a '94 90QS that is still running strong (after an engine swap) but with the recent addition of a second child, I need a daily driver with more room in the back seat.

Here's some details:
- Asking $7444.00 locally but $6200.00 online. That seems odd to me.
- 139k miles and engine doesn't exactly purr but doesn't sound terrible either.
- CEL and Airbag lights are on full time.
- Has been in minor accident in the past, based on Carfax.
- Decent tires.
- Clean interior.
- Good brakes.
- Paint is in good shape.

I'd really like to see what the dash lights are from but I don't have the equipment to test it and my mechanic can't go with me for a couple weeks.

Anyone in the Clinton, MI area with Ross-Tech VCDS that would want to meet me for a half hour or so? I'll pay for your time and throw in a 6 pack of your liking.

What are your thoughts? Take the leap or run for the hills? It's a two hour drive, so I need to come to a decision on the next trip down there.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom offered.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this one.

I bought an '02 AR with/ Tip back in fall of 2010. It has been the best and worst car that I have ever owned. There are a lot of things you need to consider and look at.

Is it the 6 speed manual or Tip? The tips seem to have torque converter issues. Mine is going thru it now.

Has it had regular maintenance? Timing belt, proper oil changes...

Does the current owner have all of his service records? With 135k miles, there should be plenty.

Do you have plenty of money to keep this car on the road? They are great cars with a lot of potential, but they like to dip into your wallet.

Can you do your own repairs? I have spent thousands of dollars over the last two years in labor alone.

A couple tips I learned from watching Top Gear (UK).
1. NEVER buy a used car that has any kind of performance mods. Chances are, the car has been abused and the owner whats to dump it. If it was still in good shape, the owner would keep a car that he modified.

2. ALWAYS check to see what radio station or CDs the current owner has in the car. If it is heavy metal, your transmission is probably already toast.

I don't want to discourage you from buying it, I just want to tell you what I wish I would have known when I bought mine.

Like I said, it is the best and worst car that I have ever owned. I have put more money than I care to discuss into the car, but I wouldn't give it up for the world.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allroad's interior are usually well kept. 9 out of 10 Allroad you find will have a nice interior except for a few finger nail scratches on the buttons and maybe a pop out cup holder. Don't let the looks of the interior sway you.

That said, scan the car first. This way you know how much more money you have to spend. A simple thing as worn-out cat and EGT senors will set you back about 1500 or more. As for the airbag, it can be a simple wire disconnect to the need to replace an igniter.

Suspension checking can be tricky. They don't usually show up until you take the car home and park it for sometime...then you wake up in the morning to see your car on the floor or drop much down from where is was the day before. As you test drive, check how often the compressor come on.

Pop the hood and look/smell for burning oil smoke rising from both side of the engine especially the passenger side. You can sometime smell this from inside the car also. Look for oil leak below. Check reverse gear if the car is automatic, it should be strong.

As for that bi-turbo oomph! you are looking for when you floor the gas, due to the weight of the car that 250-260 stock hp will not exactly give you that considering the age of the car. It is peppi somewhat from a stand-still but a lot of cars will still blow you away unless the road is wet then they will be behind you after you place your foot down. (just speaking of my allroad)

Also it would be good if you know a thing are two about cars and how the fix them. If the car maintenance was neglected there will be more money to spend after the deal.

Last edited by P4Ring; 01-30-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

First scan the car before you decide to buy. You can even go to a local auto parts store and borrow a scanner to get the generic codes. If it is a torque converter code like others have said I would walk away. There are plenty of decent ones out there. Also, cycle the air suspension from level one all the way to level four. It should take around 30 seconds or so between levels and also listen at the rear of the car to see if you hear the compressor running. If it doesn't sound like it's running smooth it will probably need to be rebuilt (not expensive or hard).

To give you an idea of what you might expect I bought mine for $8000 about a year and a half ago knowing that it had an oil leak (valve cover gaskets), worn out front suspension parts (turned out to be control arms), and a suspension compressor that was making noise. There have been other issues along the way but I'm into it about $2000 in parts and have done all the work myself.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At that mileage...the car is needing or will need I bet thousands of $$s to get right. BTDT with mine...with that said; I still rock mine at 193,000 miles now.

If you are ready to jump in with both feetand have the extra bucks for whatever it needs...then go for it. When all fixed up and running right, an allroad is prolly one of the most satisfying and awesome AWD wagons out there....short of an old AMC with a Hemi motor. 8-)

This is just me, but an accident listed on the Carfax would make me search for a less storied car. Many nice, clean ones are around.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by all(over)road
At that mileage...the car is needing or will need I bet thousands of $$s to get right. BTDT with mine...with that said; I still rock mine at 193,000 miles now.

If you are ready to jump in with both feetand have the extra bucks for whatever it needs...then go for it. When all fixed up and running right, an allroad is prolly one of the most satisfying and awesome AWD wagons out there....short of an old AMC with a Hemi motor. 8-)

This is just me, but an accident listed on the Carfax would make me search for a less storied car. Many nice, clean ones are around.
I agree with all(over)road. I would look for a clean one with no accident history. Also, make sure it is a 6 speed. If I could sell mine and replace it with a 6 speed, I would in a heartbeat.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

PM Sent
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Run from that car. At the milage on these cars now it's transmission replacement time, common for axles to go, airbags for the suspension and the SRS mean big money. Factor in about $2H/$4H per airbag repalcements (arnott Gen I/II). Suspension bushings and bearings are also due for these cars. Look for a V8 or a 6SP M. Only buy a 2.7 from an enthusist NOT an owner who hides from service repairs. You gotta pay to play with the Allroad.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

SKIP. You'll spend a lot of money on this car.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to all for the in-depth and honest responses. I am going to skip this one and keep looking. I'm tempted to buy the VCDS package, since I plan to stick with Audi/VW.

Quick Reply: Should I risk buying it?