Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Show & tell us about your aftermarket XM radio install

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show & tell us about your aftermarket XM radio install

Thinking of getting one. Recommendations? Likes/dislikes for your unit.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don' t have it, but I like the Idea of having multi radio stations everywhere, don't like paying.

It's just a matter of time before I get one of the sat radio tuners though.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have factory XM and listen all the time. Love it, except

the fidelity does not match CD or iPod. Satellite transmission is compressed. Bass is not as rich as other modes. Content selection is excellent though -- every kind of music you could desire, plus news (CNN, Fox, etc.), traffic and weather for major cities, and incredible sports (every single game!). I even listen to those morons, Opie & Anthony. For me it's well worth the monthly fee, but if you're an audiophile with the Bose Premium system or a custom set up you may prefer to stick with your higher fidelity sources.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I heard so many good things about XM...

..and made the jump. To be honest, I am not satisfied with it.

I like 80's, 90's, and other varios types of music. Yes there are stations for each of these, but I don't like what they play most of the time.

I find myself listening more and more to the local radio stations. They not only have better variety, but better sound too!

I do not consider myself an audiophile, but find the sound quality barely acceptable to me. There is no comparison to CD, MP3s, or even FM radio! If you use an FM modulator, it's even worse (unbearable IMO).

If possible, find someone with SAT radio and see if the sound quality is good enough for you. Try contacting XM (and Sirius) to see if they offer their webcast (SAT radio on the web) on a trial bases (maybe subscribe prior to investing in the SAT hardware).

If sound and programming are good enough for you, make the jump

To be fair, most people I have spoke with love their SAT radio.

For now, I am looking forward to installing my PhatNoise and pulling out the Delphi SkyFi2.

Good luck!
Gavin
Old 05-26-2005, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wow - you are the first contrarian I've heard from

In my limited experience with XM it has been awesome. I've enjoyed their playlists and diversity of tunes versus my extremely limited local choices. New York metro has the most pathetic FM choices - there are 3 'classic rock' channels that all sound the same, 3 'pop'crap stations, 3 hip hop hood stations... and in each case all 3 choices sound the same and recycle the same playlists every day.

I hadn't noticed any lack of fidelity on XM - but that was listening on my sailboat (ADS 90watt class A amp, Altec Lansing 6 1/2" 2 ways) with a direct hookup instead of a FM modulator.

I'd install it in my allroad if it was my car (wifes) and its not worth retrofitting to my 98 Honda Prelude w/103,000 miles.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

XM is just great....Have it on my AR...and miss it on my A6
Old 05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i think xm is definitely better quality then fm in my allroad with roady portable i have ran though

tape player. with xm hooked up direct on home system my $1500 fm tuner sounds better then xm, i found xm sounds better(less compressed) if you lower in adjustable output of xm unit as low as you can and just turn the volume up higher on headunit or pre-amp in house. i think we will all agree that xm is definitely not cd quality. : )

i do like the selection of music on xm more then fm.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Long time XM users, new AR owner

I had xm in my BMW and also in my office. Like it alot, but actually prefer the mix on serius in my wife's x3. Trying to decide what to do audio wise in my Allroad. My installer says pull hu and install pioneer dvd with xm radio and ipod control. Then add better sub in back.

Michael<ul><li><a href="http://www.mjposner.com">http://www.mjposner.com</a</li></ul>