Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Since car is back I tried unplugging the Suspension Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ryan, here is what I would suggest; ask Mark if he is in a position to re-code the ESP module with

perhaps newer software or a similar code from a same year A6. I believe that the so called ESP Energy-Manager might miss a data string from the RH control module and throws the ESP in Safe mode.
As we know Bosch, mostly everything is done by check-sum and look-up tables. If the check-sum exceeds the threshold then the electronic goes into limb mode.

If possible, he could try to back-up your ESP module SW and then put some A6 SW on it.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you duplicate the problem over and over again under the same condition? If you can then hook the

suspension module back up and see if the problem goes away. You are saying it's not happening when you are throwing the car around where it would normally engage ESP so if it doesn't happen with the module connected then Rally_nutcase_1982 might be barking up the right tree.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are two levels of ESP on the allroad. One push it is off and push and hold until the light

goes off activates snow/mud control. Keeps snow and mud under the front of the tire to stop better in those conditions. On all other audi products push and hold turns off ASR and ESP.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Default Just some annecdotal evidence from the last week...with RH in but not "communicating" properly you

get all kinds of wierd stuff from the wheels...i.e. like there is either no ESP at all or that it the computer is being sent garbage from the non properly coded ECU...with the RH ECU out completely I get better control...not real ESP like I am used to but there is definitely something there, as RAlly says it must go into some kind of default mode. You want a pig on ice that you toally have to control with your driving ability find a bad ECU...I could send you mine and then you would be in business I bet...how is that for repurposing?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Ryan, you should also query this post to the VAG forum; perhaps Uwe (Ross) and his engineers might

have some insight or recommendation.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 PM

I didn't know this. Next time I'm in the snow, I'll definitely try it.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Sounds like progress to me, and you're forgiven. ;-)

I have nothing worth even close to .02 to add to this discussion, though. Good luck sorting it out.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM

Default I'll re-check, but here's my experience

My level control module is out, sitting in a box. I can turn off ESP, lighting up the dash light. Then I can do stupid tricks in the snow, 4-wheel burnouts, short drifting turns, etc. The light hasn't come back on, but I haven't romped on it for more than a minute or two at a time.

I'll try leaving it disengaged for a few hours and see what happens. I won't be in the snow, however, and tend to avoid drifting on public roads unless its snowy playtime.

-df
Old 03-11-2008, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, the logical next step is putting the control module back in. Bit of a PITA, but will have to

do it.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: There are two levels of ESP on the allroad. One push it is off and push and hold until the light

My understanding is that the allroad is different from your description...

There is no "off" mode - when pressed the dash lights up and that engages "offroad" mode.

I have not verified YOUR description but I think I will test it today.

Quick Reply: Since car is back I tried unplugging the Suspension Module