Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Soooo, Audi claims the "Delayed throttle response" is within manuf. specs.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soooo, Audi claims the "Delayed throttle response" is within manuf. specs.....

Is it also within manufacturers specs to leave me stranded without power and have several close calls daily?
Old 10-25-2002, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Soooo, Audi claims the "Delayed throttle response" is within manuf. specs.....

My lease expires in June and I was considering moving into an Allroad. I am having seconds thoughts based on the lag issue that is always brought up since I will need a tip. Is it really as bad as it seems. I have also heard that Audi will waive the end of your lease term if you sign up for a new lease. I would appreciate any input on this issue. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default On this one, it's probably best to test drive the car and decide for yourself.

Not everyone finds the issue troublesome.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:55 PM

Kent2.7t - My strong advice to you. WAIT
Old 10-25-2002, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default test the car ... kent

i agree with itacud. Test the allroad. After learning to apply the 'right' pressure on the gas pedal and shifting between tipronic and auto mode during start up, I have avoided the lag. When I need power, I step on the gas about a third of the way and get immediate responds with about 4200 - 4500 RPM. The other way is to just use tiptronic and have it on first gear and shift back to auto on third or fourth gear. It's really a matter of adjusting your driving habit to the allroad. I'm now OK with it. No delayed response now unlike the first few days of driving my AR.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm With Cortland...Wait

Paying $45-50k for a car that requires you to "adjust" your driving style is absolutely ridiculous. What is it like? Imagine driving your old Chevy with a bad accelerator pump. Sure you can drive it and learn to live with it (apply throttle slowly, pump pedal, etc.), but that means you don't just put it in "D" and pull out in traffic...which works in nearly every other new car...including my old Fox...

There is no doubt the allroad is a great car, but I would only recommend the stick to a friend until they get this issue worked out.

And for those folks that say you can reset it with the accelerator, play with the tip shifter all the time, or adjust your driving (never mind you have a 250hp turbo 2.7 under the hood...just wait for the opposing traffic to leave you a large enough gap so that in case it stumbles you don't get T-boned)...I say why bother to get an auto??? I certainly would have chosen the stick, but I drive the S4 and she drives the allroad; and this auto, DBW, and its electronic programming absolutely suck.

I'm dumbfounded that folks would say just live with it or find ways to adjust your driving style--all of which remind me of my old ways as a teen to adjusting for a bad accelerator pump...because I couldn't afford to replace it. Now I can afford a $50k car that I want to be performance oriented and a reliable daily driver, and I have my old Chevy...although the headliner is intact.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Everyone has to adjust to a new car

It is not ridiculous to adjust your driving habits to a new car. The seats are different, the way it accelerate is different, the way it reacts when braking is different, the way it handles is different, the pedals are different. I have owned several cars and I have to adjust to each one of them. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but people look at things the way they want to. so, I have no quarrel with scfan.

But get this ... Driving a 250 hp twin-turbo AR is not the same as driving a 100 hp car sedan, or a 130 hp family car, or a 350 hp sports car. You just gotta adjust your driving habits to each car. No car is the same. Not even different allroads would have the same driving experience for different drivers.

I use to drive on the left side of the road with a right side driver's car when I lived in England (I also got used to that driving habit).

So, you can decide for yourself. I decided and I'm very happy with my decision. It's worth the 47K I spent. Again, just my opinion and point of view ... not to flame anyone who has their own gripes about the AR.

I don't have any lag experiences now (except the first acceleration in the morning when the engine is very cold). And my driving habit is as natural as it can be.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2+ Second Throttle Lag Is Not Normal

I'm well aware that every car is different, but I'm not going to attempt to rationalize an abnormal problem...just to pacify myself that I didn't buy a car with a serious problem. There is a major difference between adjusting driving habits because of car traits--vs.--adjusting for abnormal behavior.

I'm not here to argue on whether folks accept this condition, but I will argue that it isn't normal nor safe. As I've said, everything else about the allroad is great--extremely well done.

But I also own a 6 speed S4 Avant, which outside of a A6 2.7T, is about the closest relative to my allroad...so driving a 250hp twin-turbo powering four wheels isn't foreign to me. My S4 does a lot better job of it...minus the t-bone lag...

Note to self: should have got the 6 speed; don't listen to wife next time.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is there any problem at all when shifting in tip mode?

If not, it seems like it wouldn't be so bad to use tip-1, when you know you plan to gun it. The intent of tip mode, after all, is to have better control. It's not unlike making sure a 6-spd is down into 1st before an aggressive start -- w/o the worry of a clutch.

(I don't have a tip, hence the question...)
Old 10-25-2002, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Never thought I would have to re-learn the fundamentals of driving . . .

But out of necessity, I have. Just don't let anyone else use the car, for they might not learn so fast.

Quick Reply: Soooo, Audi claims the "Delayed throttle response" is within manuf. specs.....