Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Soooo, Audi claims the "Delayed throttle response" is within manuf. specs.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I use Tip-1 to jumpstart and it has no lag at all

I agree about using Tip-1 (no lag problem there at all), then at around Tip-3 I just shift back to Auto. Tip-1 is excellent for jumpstarting and I've never noticed any lag. The auto - yes, but not the Tip.

Again, it may be that ARs vary and some owners experience longer lags. I have not had an experience of 2+ sec lag as sfan mentions. A split second lag in the auto mode is all I have exprienced. But got no problem with any tip-1 lag.

Peace
Old 10-26-2002, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience on this issue

My 2 cents for what its worth:
I followed this board for 6 months before purchasing a 6-speed AR so I was well versed on this issue. I drove the tip first and the tranny lag was annoying to say the least, so much so, that I moved on to other car choices. Almost by accident there was a 6-speed avail on a nearby dealer so I went for a test drive, amazing difference. Since I've driven manuals in several cars and the wife is not interested in driving, my choice was made. I am in heavy traffic often but I hvae found the clutch to be no problem (on the soft side).
I also agree that a $45k+ car should not have an issue of this nature.
I love the car, sorry this is so long.

Glenn
Old 10-26-2002, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Kent, Take both tip & man. on EXTENDED test drives....

.....back-to-back, if the dealer says no, take your $ elsewhere. I think that was my mistake, (that and listening to my wife and not getting the 6-speed) being hurried on my testdrive. Don't kid yourself and think tip is an acceptable compromise to a standard. (I came soooo close to buying THE car NYallroad is now enjoying, if it was lt silver it might be sitting in my driveway. ) Hindsight is 20/20!
Old 10-26-2002, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what about when your routine has you driving two cars.....

.... during the week I drive a full size 1500 Chevy Van, on weekends I'm in the ar. BTW even loaded w/ tools the v6 equiped van would dust the ar O-30 mph. See what throttle response (and gearing) gets ya? (for $21,000 no less). That's why I have such a gripe w/ lag. Just give me a friggin' throttle CABLE! I never had to adjust W/ my Intrepid. Just get in and go!
Old 10-26-2002, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Kent, Take both tip & man. on EXTENDED test drives....

I agree test them both -- but I think with extended test drives there would be more 6spds sold -- maybe not a majority, but many more than are sold now.

The ar with 6spd is a blast.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:06 AM

Default Re: On this one, it's probably best to test drive the car and decide for yourself.

Thank you for the valuable input. I have not noticed any lag in my A6 2.7. I wonder if the problem will be resolved by Audi in the 2003 Allroads. Maybe the 4.2 will not have the lag problem. I plan on test driving both stick and tip extensively before making a decision. The other option is to get into a new A6 2.7 but I do like the versatility of the Allroad.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Does this Change Everything about when to get a 6spd?

You know, the conventional wisdom is to get a tip (automatic) if you live in a highly congested area, or a 6-spd if live in a rural area.

Maybe Audi has reversed that with allroad. Get the 6-spd where there is lots of of stop-and-go and opt for the manual in less trafficked regions.

Living in an area where you can go twenty or thiry miles, and stop, maybe once or twice, the lag is no issue for me.

When you do come to an intersection, everybody is so damned polite, at times it seems nobody goes waiting ever so patiently for the other guy to cross the street.

And those big lumbering diesel trucks everybody drives as personal transportation have a lag all their own, it seems.

Miles
Port Ludlow, Wa.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

seems like it . I shoulda used this reverse logic, living on long island
Old 10-26-2002, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same here - I tend to slide into tip mode when I want to gun it...

I do this more from a control perspective than any perceived tranny lag. Occasionally I did experience very minor lag before my 10K service when I think they must have reset the TCM. Now it is imperceptible. I do think a 2+ second delay is unacceptable, however, and nowhere near the worst I ever experienced (in my '01).

Since the auto transmission is supposedly adaptive, I wonder whether the lag is worse after lengthy periods of relatively passive use. This could make sense if the TCM is suddenly required to deal with more active input from the driver.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The ar has one of the easiest to drive in traffic 6-spds I've ever driven...

The clutch pedal needs very little effort, even compared to japanese compacts.

The ar has sufficient torque, at idle, to pull the car forward from stop by just letting the clutch out - in 2nd gear, with a trailor! (A *little* gas makes things smoother, with the trailer =)

The point being, the combination of clutch and motor make driving in traffic with a 6-spd allroad super easy. It seems less effort in traffic to me than any other manual I've driven, including corvettes, M3s, the 911s, Integras, Beetles, F-150s, etc...

Offcourse, the gear box ain't so slick, but it's really not terrible. It's not the quickest shifting (stock), but it really doesn't get in the way any.

(Other's experiances may vary. =)

Quick Reply: Soooo, Audi claims the "Delayed throttle response" is within manuf. specs.....