Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

spinning metallic noise when ESP engages

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spinning metallic noise when ESP engages

Just purchased a 2004 allroad 4.2 with automatic. Had it checked out by a garage for pre-purchase and she came out clean. My question is concerning a spinning metallic sound that I hear when cornering up a sharp switchback at about a 30 degree angle. The ESP engages at this point and reduces power; that is when I hear the spinning metallic sound. The majority of responses I have read on the web on this issue seem to think that is a normal sound and not to be concerned. Any response from anyone familiar with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have experience with this, but just a suggestion...why not click off the ESP using the button in the dash, and try your corner again to see what happens. If you still hear the noise, you know something else is going on. From what I understand about how the ESP works, it really only applies the brakes to certain wheels in order to correct for detected over or understeer. Since the power should be re-directed to the other wheels, should you be experiencing a power reduction? Also, when ESP engages, shouldn't it sound exaclty like ABS engaging?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried various combinations of disengaging the ESP, shifting to manual first gear on approach, etc., all with the same results. I am beginning to think that it is just inherit of Audi's all-wheel drive design, which is radically different than other manufacturer's all-wheel drive systems (i.e.: not a two wheel drive system that occasionally engages the other two wheels). It feels like the system is trying to adjust how the four wheels will continue to roll forward in this extreme and awkward maneuver. The switchback is about a 270 degree turn on about a 35 degree angle going at about 10 to 15 mph. Once again, thank you for your reply!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to re zero your Steering Angle Sensor.

The sound you hear is the ABS pump engaging a wheel as your system thinks you are going into a slide or spin. The sounds are normal but, the ssystem need to be reset.

Its a simple VAG procedure. Find someone with a VAG -COM set up and follow the instructions on Ross-tech.com.

FYI.. this can happen as the result of an alignment being done by a shop that does not know audi/VW systems.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default procedure inside

You need a Ross-Tech Vag Com cable and their software for a PC-Laptop. Search for someone who has the cable on Ross-tech.com and buy them a six-pack for their help.

Procedure for performing the zero position calibration for the Steering Angle Sensor (G85) on VW Passat and Audi A4/S4, A6/S6, and A8/S8:

[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Login - 11]
Enter 40168
[Do It!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]

This will store the zero (centered) position of the steering wheel. There should be a displayed message that reads: "Steer. angle sender compens OK". If you get an error, it may mean the Login was not successfully performed.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Thanks Paulroad! That is a distinct possibility as one of the tie-rod ends was replaced as a result of the pre-purchase inspection; they also performed an alinement after replacing the tie-rod end. Once again, thanks for your help.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no doubt this is it. I've had the issue as have many others.

The reality is, if your shop is an Audi savvy shop with tech equip like a vag-com, they should be doing this at N/C for you.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, therein lies the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot drive the car back to the shop that performed the alignment. The allroad was purchased from an Acura/Subaru dealer in Minneapolis; the allroad was a trade-in. The work was performed by the shop that did the pre-purchase inspection. The allroad now resides on St. John, Virgin Islands, a small Caribbean island. There are no Audi Dealerships nor Audi repair shops, although I do have an excellent mechanic. I am prepared to purchase service/repair manuals and a VAG COM setup to assist with this and future issues. I'll check out the Ross-Tech site. I knew this before purchasing the Audi, but the allroad just put a hook in me and wouldn't let go. Thanks again!