Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Squealing brakes re-visited after "bedding-in"... problem persists.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Squealing brakes re-visited after "bedding-in"... problem persists.

A while back I posted that my brakes had started to emit a very loud squeal when slowing/stopping from slow (approx. 40 km/h) speeds.

After searching the forums, I came across a re-direct to this url: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

After following the advised "bedding-in" procedure as described, the squeal was eliminated for about 4 days. Then, gradually, after a few trips through stop-go city traffic, the squeal has returned.

Arrrgh!

I'm going to repeat the "bedding-in", but it is dashed inconvenient as I have to use the highway at 3-00 a.m. to have the freedom to do this properly.

If the squeal persists even after bedding in, what more can I do? The squeal is VERY loud and most annoying.

I should add that I have new pads (with about 1000 km on them) but old rotors - and after a recent multi-thousand dollar service I'd like to avoid new rotors for now.

Thanks all.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There lies the problem.

Audi specs are to replace the rotors with the pads. Our rotors in the US are thinner than rotors were of year's past. I assume your's are the same.

Did you have the rotors resurfaced? You need to take out the wear gouges of the past use. Now they are creating an uneven surface on your new pads. This allows road debri to build up and cause the squeek.

Resurfacing the rotors also thins them out and can allow debri to build up as well, as well as accellerate the warping process.

I generally run in reverse to 10 MPH/KMH and jamb the brakes almost setting the ABS on. This clears the pads..for a while.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, okay... rotors were replaced about 70k km ago. Ill have them checked.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ddid the shop installing them get enough of the antisqueal paste between the pad and the caliper?

I would look at the rotors too, but it is possible for those not to need to be replaced depending on their condition when you do your pads.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Something to try...

This worked for me. Was offered as a last resort by the folks at EBC Brakes.

When you bed in new brakes, you are actually transferring pad material to the surface of the rotor. This supposedly creates a common friction surface and both improves braking and reduces noise.

if you put in new pads with old rotors, you are already starting with a problem. The rotors have a film of the oold pad material built up. And you have ridges on both the inner and outer lips of the rotor too.

Here's what EBC suggested-
First, make sure that you use a file or grinder and put pa bevel on other the top and bottom edged of the new pads so that the rorot ridges are not rubbing ont he pad- that's a major source of noise.

Second- if you don't want to completely resurface the old rotors, then at least take some medium grit sandpaper- 50-80 grit- and rough up both inner and outer surfaces of the rotor. And rough up the surface of you pads too since you may have some glazing built up now. Then go bed them in.

If that doesn't work, it may be time to address the rotors. In my case, it got rid of 90% of my noise.