Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Strange "whirring" noise from my engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange "whirring" noise from my engine...

I noticed a small faint "whirring" noise, kinda like a propeller (turbo?) slightly rubbing against it's chamber. It only occurs while accelerating around 2500 to 3500 RPM. I don't hear it in first gear. It's most pronounced on a steady acceleration up a hill...

Any thoughts? Of course I'm gonna take it in, but I wanted to ask my trusted forum buddies first.

What sucks is that I just spent $60 on an oil change cuz I didn't have time to take it to the dealer... now it's going there anyways.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Strange "whirring" noise from my engine...

Neb,
Unless it is very loud, I would say not to sweat it I hear similar noises from my car especially when going up a hill, and my buddies s4 produces similar sounds, I think that this is just standard turbo noise. Unless Like I said before it is very loud and whiney. In any case hope it is nothing major .... Good luck
Old 03-18-2002, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Curious, what weight oil did you put in?

My S4 got the whirring noise more commonly referred to as the "police siren" or "tea kettle" sound on the S4 board at moderate acceleration between 2-3.5k rpms, cold engine. Went away when the car got warm. This started at 8,000 miles after the 8k service. Found out the dealer put in 20W-50 oil. I went back and had Mobil 1 0W-30 synthetic put in and the siren sound went away.

Dealer will say it is normal. Maybe try doing a search on the S4 forum for "siren" Should pull up many threads.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did the standard 5W-30 mobil 1

It's not the standard turbo whistle sound... it's like a really faint sound like like if you took a rotating propellor and genly touched it's rotating blades on a sheet of metal.

It comes and goes, I won't worry about it for now, see how it goes.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:53 AM
BH

Default Re: Strange "whirring" noise from my engine...

I have the same problem, it is some kind of problem with the Y-housing that leaks.

When dirivng uphill and when doing kickdown I loose turbo preassure.

I going to leave my car at repairshop for fix
Old 03-18-2002, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm. The way you describe doesn't sound good. Heat shield rattle?
Old 03-18-2002, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, it could be a rattle... I'll find out and keep y'all posted.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:58 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default You actually trust us??? Well, in that case...

...I guess I ought to be at least a little serious.

Fairly early on (say, <5K miles) I had an intermittent noise that sounded like running your finger along the teeth of a plastic comb, except it was all the same pitch. The individual "plinks" (or whatever you'd call them) were nicely musical. It was pretty faint, but discernable especially under load (up hills, accelerating hard, etc.).

It seemed to vary with brand of gas, but it didn't sound like pinging I've heard before, and it didn't vary with engine rpm.

Eventually it went away. I figure that allroads are self-healing sometimes. HPH
Old 03-18-2002, 07:37 PM
mpm

Default If it's a constant "whirring" I'd say turbos. If it's more of a rattle I'd say heat shield

Either way I wouldn't worry too much. THe S4 turbos whine - the allroad are pretty quite, go figure...

BTW if you can find 0W-40 you should use it. These turbos like real thin oil - heated to proper temp before use - of course 8^J

Keep us posted...
Old 03-19-2002, 08:57 AM

Default Bypass valve?

How many miles do you have? My ar makes a noise that I think is similar to what you are describing. My dealer said that it was the bypass valve, i.e.-overboost preventer. It would make sense that this could be the culprit, since you said it is under load. But, mine does it even above 3500.

Quick Reply: Strange "whirring" noise from my engine...