Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Strange buzz when I first initiate the turn signal - installed the new hazard switch Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange buzz when I first initiate the turn signal - installed the new hazard switch Saturday

now I am getting a quick buzz for a split second before the audible clicking starts, of coarse I have put all back together.

Any ideas on this?

Also installed a new pollen filter and drivers door window switch - rear door window switches are now operable without having to hold down the lockout switch.

Next -
1) right front door in not tripping the courtesy lights.
2) left front outer cv is slinging grease everywhere.
3) see if those two are covered by warranty

Both switches would have been covered but I bought the parts seperatly (month apart) and each alone was less than the deductable.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My hazard switch buzzed when initiating right before it crapped out, so it seems unusual to me that

your new one would buzz, unless it's defective.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My guess is a bad turn signal stalk.

When I replaced my hazard switch, the symptom changed from clicking to buzzing, apparently due to the new type of relays in the new hazard switches. My actual problem was with the turn signal stalk. This is a much more involved job than the hazard relay. If you do this yourself, be careful not to break the "clockspring" connector. It's very pricey.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i get this at times.. in my case its the turn signal stalk on the wheel..

if I move it slow I get the fast buzz. If I move the stalk fast..nothing.

I'd think in my case the contacts need to be cleaned inside the stalk's lever itself.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I 2nd - BTDT bad turn signal stalk
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Strange buzz when I first initiate the turn signal - installed the new hazard switch Saturday

It's the relay. I replaced mind and the replacement does that. It's worked fine otherwise for the past two years. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FARK. I thought I had fixed the problem by replacing the hazard!! Grr... This time I'm going to get

CPO to cover it. I did the hazard switch myself because the CPO deductible > price of the switch.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For those not covered by CPO, it is possible to replace the signal stalk yourself...

...the only tool that someone might not have on hand is the M-12 triple square for the steering wheel bolt, but easily found at AutoZone (as part of a set, but still cheap $$).

The part itself ran about $90.

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec162.shtml">AW Tech Article: signal stalk replacement in C5 A6</a>
Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As allroaders, we need the triple square to replace the airsprings.

Its part of our official repair kit. ;-)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I'm not going to spend $90 on the stalk if I can pay $50 to the dealer (CPO) to replace it.

Quick Reply: Strange buzz when I first initiate the turn signal - installed the new hazard switch Saturday