Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Stratmosphere is the be all and end all of Customer Service. (Short Shifter)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stratmosphere is the be all and end all of Customer Service. (Short Shifter)

Phone help from the owner Bob Hamme no less. This shifter rocks! and it was Bob who gave me the pointers to set it up right. (He owned an ar and designed it for his originally.)

My initial reaction a few weeks ago was smooth, but finding the gears especially the downshift of 3-2 was hard to do.

The big change in their S/S is the ELIMINATION of pushing the shifter down for reverse. They designed the shifter to "ease" the spring controlled reverse gate open. So adjusting it for the exact "sweet spot" was my issue.

The design of the shifter is a single CNC aluminum shaft. No plastic at all. Two pivot points for short shifting and super short shifting. I went right to Super.

With some very fine adjustements to the two allen nuts, this shifter is smoooooooth. Yes you still feel the notchiness of the tranny itself. Nothing can eliminate this becaus its not the shifter but the tranny and linkage.

The slop is gone, it is CLICK-CLICK precise and quick. Even the 3-2 downshift is a refelx as it should be.

Most of you know I was less than thrilled with the Toy Guy Shifter. This is night and day to Stock and better than the TG altogether.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, definitely on my short list of mods.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bob is the owner?!?!? Hmmm... didn't know that... But yea, Bob is a good guy, very helpfull.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

you will need to update you signature since you have a different SS
Old 06-10-2007, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes they are. I have spoken with Mr Hamme (has owned 31 Audi's to date)...

My contact with him was about brakes. Loads of knowledge. I did not know he was the owner, BUT in they're reply email (from him) he asked for my phone number, so he could talk to me personally. I called him and we went over quite a bit about the ar braking system and what else I may be doing to it in the future.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When I met him at Waterfest last year..

I got the impression that Stratmosphere is his. Granted, the statement was never said "I own..." But after many conversations and e-mails it seems to fit.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts
Default DTS or SS?

So, since you have both, which would you choose to do if you could only do one? The Short Shifter or the Drive Train Stabilizer?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default its like this...

In all fareness, I never had the Strat Shifter witout the DTS so I can't gove you the answer.

Howver, first was the Toy Guy shifter..I never felt that much with it it still felt stock. Then I did the DTS and it is felt at once. Its stictly a seat of the pants feel. Tighter shifting (feel) and quicker of the line (feel).

Now that I pulled the Toy Guy in favor of the Stratmosphere Shifter, I feel everything come together. There is a difference (better) from the TG to tthe Strat.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DTS or SS?

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing when I read about your install and your review. I bet the DTS makes a world of difference...nothing like feeling the vibration of your tranny and watching the shifter move by itself without the DTS. :P
Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default and I have to say, the B&M is also a really high quality product. Does...

require some creativity with the OEM **** mounting, but I wanted to mount an RS4 Air leather **** anyway. I love it, and have DTS as well. the DTS is the big improvement, #1.

Quick Reply: Stratmosphere is the be all and end all of Customer Service. (Short Shifter)