Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Successful installation of an RNS-E in 2002 allroad. Here are some comments...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Successful installation of an RNS-E in 2002 allroad. Here are some comments...

(I also posted this information on www.navplus.us)

I just installed an RNS-E (4B0 035 192 R) into my newly acquired 2002 allroad. This vehicle had a Symphony II w/ Bose plus a trunk mounted CD changer, Tiptronic, and a MFSW (multi-Function Steering Wheel with up/down controls for each of: volume, preselect, scan and the Tiptronic). Parktronic is also present, but I don't think that is significant.

Using a plug and play (PNP) adapter cable from the supplier, the job was easy. Well, sort of...here's what I noted, rewired and confirmed:

In my allroad, the control unit interface module that converts the MFSW signals into signals for use with the Symphony II was already the "618" version of the 4B0 907 487H (the "H" suffix is the CAN output version). This meant that the MFSW would properly operate the volume, preset, and scan in the RNS-E via the CAN-bus.

The 32 pin grey connector behind the instrument cluster (named T32c) already had the CAN-L (pin 5; orange/violet) and CAN-H (pin 6; orange/brown) present. These two wires wound their way through the wiring harness to pins 12 (CAN-L) and 7 (CAN-H) of "Connector I" (the two pins are/would be in the center green connector if your vehicle came that way). The PNP then relocated these two wires to pins D10 (CAN-L) and D9 (CAN-H) in the Quadlock connector. I had thought that I would have to hand wire the two CAN-bus wires from T32c, but after opening up the connector I found these wires already installed. As stated, this is a 2002 allroad. The build date showing on the driver's door B pillar is 05/02.

The GALA wire (vehicle speed signal) I used was from pin 31 of the blue connector (T32) at the back of the instrument panel. I used pin 31, rather than pin 3, because I was told that in the allroad pin 3 is used by the air suspension system. I didn't want to interfere with that. Pin 31 is used by the wiper system, so interference is not a concern. [edit 7/13/2011...the wiper system has never had a problem with the GALA wire tap.] I used some 20 gauge wire for this. Even smaller gauge wire is OK as there is no significant current flow in this wire.

The new GALA wire was then connected to pin B3 in the Quadlock connector. Before I could do that I had to remove a wire in the PNP that connected B3 to Pin 1 of the black 8 pin connector (Connector III) in the original wire harness for the Symphony II audio system. After extracting the contact/wire (a flat male plug) out of pin 1 of the PNP's mating connector (also black), I soldered that wire to the GALA wire. I used heat shrink tubing to insulate the bare metal of the solder connection. (You could simply cut the wire near the black connector, make a secure connection to the GALA wire, and use black electrical tape to insulate the connection. Or you can install an in-line connector to allow easier removal of the PNP at a later date.)

I did not install a wire between the connector in the drivers "A" pillar footwell (T10f/pin8) and the reverse signal (RFSL) input on the RNS-E (pin C2). There is conflicting information on this site about the necessity or reason to do this. Some posts indicate that the CAN-bus transmits this info to the RNS-E in a 2002 vehicle, but other posts indicate that the hardwired connection is still needed on a 2002. I cannot determine why this signal is needed other than perhaps making the arrowhead cursor in the map pointing "forward" even when you are backing up. Since my installation orients the cursor correctly without the RFSL wire connected, it is likely the "reversing" condition is transmitted via the CAN-bus (or the RNS-E's gyro system figures this out). Or perhaps the RFSL signal is just to make the RNS-E correct mileage for the "distance to next instruction" as you drive backwards...I can't see the real need for this feature as I don't plan on backing up -that- much. [Edited 10/22/07...I've just been informed that the RFSL signal is used to automatically display a rear view video image from a backup camera. Thank you "uber_ar"]

Because I have a Bose amplifier/equilizer system, I installed a jumper wire in the PNP Quadlock between pin B7 (Bose) and D14 (DWA-GND (an easily accessible grounding point)).

I'd like to comment on the GPS antenna installation within the dashboard near the instrument cluster. I've read a couple posts suggesting that the antenna be located on top of an aluminum structural support forward of and slightly to the left of the center line of the instrument cluster. There is a small "shelf" in that location on the metal support where a plastic air duct makes a bend upward. Placing the antenna here is possible, but the spacing is VERY tight and the antenna will be slightly tilted and rather toward the forward edge of the windshield. This might limit the antenna's "view of the sky" and therefore the number of satellites that can be seen.

This mounting location within the dashboard has often been used because an earlier post describing an RNS-E installation used the term "cubby hole" to describe a good place to put the antenna. However, the photo that the author included in the article was rather dark, and his suggested location for the antenna is often misunderstood. A very careful look at the photo reveals that the location being described is not the little "shelf" on the aluminum structural support.

Instead, the GPS antenna was located between the upper surface of the dashboard and where the dashboard touches the top edge of the instrument cluster. Between these two surfaces is a rather decent open area...about 1 - 1.5 inches high, and a dozen inches wide. This area is ABOVE the installed instrument cluster. You'll note that when the instrument cluster is removed, you can cup your fingers and slip them up into this area. This is where you can locate the antenna and the extra coax cable. I wrapped velcro around the antenna, and then placed a mating piece of velcro on the bottom of the wrapped antenna. Then I did my best to slip the antenna into the opening, holding the sticky surface away from the plastic until the antenna was far enough in. It's a little tough to do this with big hands. I then coiled the coax cable (but for three feet or so) and stuffed the cable next to the antenna. I added a piece of good foam rubber (like that from a high quality instrument carry case) to prevent the cable from flopping around. When the antenna is in this location, it is almost centered in the front to back distance of the windshield, giving it a great view of the sky.

Oh, yes...do not bend the coax cable too sharply. Doing so will significantly diminish the received signal strength. Keep all "radius" bends in the cable at least 2 inches

----

I had VAG-com'd my car appropriately before the installation, and the RNS-E was appropriately "informed" of the car's options. The supplier of the RNS-E did this before I began the installation so details of this procedure are unknown to me. The good news is that there were no fault codes in the car beforehand!

The RNS-E works great. And the DIS (Driver's Information System) display information is just what is needed as you approch an intersection. I do have one question which I'm sure someone can answer in regard to the DIS info. Prior to the installation of the RNS-E, the radio call letters and song information scrolled through the Symphony II display and in the DIS. After the RNS-E, all this info is only on the RNS-E, and the DIS only shows the radio station's frequency. Is this correct?

I'm sure I forgot to mention a detail or two, so if you have any questions, and I actually did something that would have answered them, I'll edit this post to "fill in the blanks'"

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 07-13-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bummer. There is no scrolling ...

Bummer. There is no scrolling on the RNS-e for XM/Sirus radio. After updating my Euro unit to software version 1.5 I DID get scrolling RDS FM data. It does not appear on the preset station screen. I'm so happy to have the "nag" screen gone anything's a gift after that.

Michael
'02 6SP M
Old 10-21-2007, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No need for reverse wire unless you are using a backup camera
Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. Now I know why/how the reverse signal (RFSL) is used...EOM
Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, I was wondering how to hookup a backup camera....
Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You will also notice that when you do back up...

..your position on a road may be off a bit, but the unit should refresh pretty quickly and put you back on the road.

If this is bothersome to you in any way, then install the reverse wire. Otherwise, it really does not do much else (other than the camera)
Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice..congrats!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Successful installation of an RNS-E in 2002 allroad. Here are some comments...

Congrats! Good install and description. I did the same for my 2003 allroad (build date aug 02)

When you upgrade to the RNS-E you lose RDS (the radio station letters in the DIS) - I dont think anyone has figured out how to solve this (short of running Euro Firmware ) in the US