AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics installed?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default what was the cost

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
You just missed out on a group buy from Europe of the OEM hitch. There may be an extra if someone backs out of their purchase. Do a search on AR hitches.
HOW MUCH OF A SAVINGS DID THE GROUP BUY PROVIDE?
is the OEM hitch really worth it?
I have a bile rack used on a saab that would feed into a receptacle, and occ pull a small trailer
Sounds like a roof rack for the bikes may be a better plan.

PeteG
Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silva
Email me at silvasnAThotmailDOTcom. I have ordered 12 of the OEM Westfalia hitches for the 2001-2005 Allroad. There have been two members in the group buy that have expressed interest of backing out of the deal. One of these members was involved in a collision and will no longer need his hitch. The group buy cost will be around 500USD to your door.
do you still have one available?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Question
These are hidden hitches
Is there an adapter for attaching a 1 and 1/4" square receiver so I can use a rear mounted bike rack that I have? I thought someone said there was. The OEM hitch, is the ball size compatible with US trailers. I had heard it was somewhere between the 2" and 1&3/4" ball
Thanks
Pete
Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earlier in this post I mentioned buying the Curt Hitch from U-haul.com. Well I took it to the local u-haul for installation. Their so-called professional did not follow the instructions and drilled all of the holes wrong so he drilled another set of holes. Then modified the hitch to try attempting to get it straight. $1000+ in damage, missing parts and they are refusing to pay for the repairs to the spare tire well. U-Haul.com is refusing to send me a new hitch too. Looks like this will end up in court. Has not been a good experience for me.

I ordered a new hitch from a guy on eBay for $111 and I'm going to have it powder coated to match my car and then have the autobody shop install it when they fix the underside.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

could buy allroad and the hitch will be there already :-) its a dealer installed hidden hitch so it doesnt show from the outside. its american style in receiver too.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the US factory/dealer installed "hidden" hitch on my '04, and it does not have a reciever like an American hitch. It has a ball with an interesting allen screw arrangement to change from 1 7/16 to 2" *****. I wish it had a way to use a regular type reciever - did later ones do this?

Or can I buy a different removeable draw bar that will take Amercian style draw bars?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by allroaddave
I have the US factory/dealer installed "hidden" hitch on my '04, and it does not have a reciever like an American hitch. It has a ball with an interesting allen screw arrangement to change from 1 7/16 to 2" *****. I wish it had a way to use a regular type reciever - did later ones do this?

Or can I buy a different removeable draw bar that will take Amercian style draw bars?
Do you have pictures?
I think these may be easily removable too... I would be interested if you end up getting a US, Type 1 itc that as a received
Pete
Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure what you're asking me Pete, the hitch ball can easily be replaced with one of the correct size, and I know I can buy another ball made as this one is, but in this configuration, it won't take a draw bar that would allow use of a bike rack or carrier of any sort.......
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since there is some interest in OEM hitches and I am interested, I have some info about a past group purchase. If enough are interested I would be willing to try to organize another group purchase
If interested shoot me an e-mail at Lavajava@AOL.com and we can see who may want to participate
Pete

Quick Reply: suggestions on hitches?