Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension vibration ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It means cv replacement. Allroads seem to wear out CVs more rapidly than other Audis.

You replaced the axle with the torn boot with what axle? I mean OEM, aftermarket, Raxles? Did you replace the other axle? Your diminished vibration may mean the other axle needs to go too.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outer tie rod ends also cause steering wheel vibration. I doubt the bushings are the cause...because they would rattle, when hitting small bumps - not vibration at speed.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
It means cv replacement. Allroads seem to wear out CVs more rapidly than other Audis.

You replaced the axle with the torn boot with what axle? I mean OEM, aftermarket, Raxles? Did you replace the other axle? Your diminished vibration may mean the other axle needs to go too.
I replaced my first CV assembly maybe two years ago with one I found online (aftermarket). I just replaced the second one with another aftermarket. Neither were Raxles and to be very honest I am not even sure if they changed the same one twice... it completely escaped me to ask the obvious.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen951
Outer tie rod ends also cause steering wheel vibration. I doubt the bushings are the cause...because they would rattle, when hitting small bumps - not vibration at speed.
Thanks for the tip! That is really helpful.

I just came back from a quick errand and had it up to 90mph. The vibration doesn't seem any worse the higher the speed. Definitely diminishes when you let off the gas.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys I just read the thread and wondering if my car has the same issue. I bought a 2003 allroad from a for sale by owner. The check engine light was always on but the owner said that allroads have that issue but not a big problem. Well, I recently have been noticing a rumble and vibration when I hit the gas above 60-65mph. When I let go of the gas it doesn't vibrate. Is this a serious issue?
Please recommend a good mechanic near the Renton area. If you give advice please put it in simple terms because I know nothing about Audi's or cars in general.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your rumble may very well be wearing cv joints starting to vibrate. Raxles sells whole axle assemblies with both CVs replaced with new. Lots of aftermarket "refurbished" axle suppliers use CVs that have the cages ground out to accept larger *****.

Check Engine lights indicate an issue that needs to be addressed. You need to find a way to get a scan done to determine the cause of the light.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that allroads are better off with OE or Raxles. If that still does not solve your problem, I eventually cured mine on my A6 when I measured the run out in the two front wheel hubs. One was in spec and one was out far enough to cause the problem. Found a good used one from another Audi owner, and will machine the face of the bad one to keep as a spare if the other original develops problems.