Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Swaybars in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaybars in deep snow

My mechanic is discouraging me from putting H-sport swaybars on the AR because it will affect traction in snow. Specifically, he says that in deep snow one wheel will pick up and lose traction. We get some heavy storms here in Tahoe, and traction is important. Does anybody have experience with swaybars in heavy snow areas? Would it be possible to adjust the swaybars for winter and summer from soft to hard (is soft close to stock)?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does your mechanic know this is an Audi Qauttro?

Not to mention its an independant rear, and has a sway bar on it. In his own logic, as one wheel rises the swaybar's force becomes stronger on the opposite wheel.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Get another Mechanic, he's an idiot. If you do heavy offroading

in an area unsuited to the allroad, maybe. Otherwise several hundred of us can't be wrong. My Professional Opinion.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:42 AM

Default I spend most weekends in Maine.....

Quite a bit of snow. I have never had any traction related issues because of my H-Sports. That said, the only winter related issue appears to be <Hard> setting with boiler plate ice on the road. You might want to invest in a mouth peice. Some people have change the rear setting to <Soft> in the winter to help the ride out. But this does effect forward driving unless your travelling on logging roads, then I opt out for my Yukon XL. If I were you, I would put on the H-Sports and really enjoy what this car should drive like. To counter what your mechanics said, an "S" model Audi is way more lateral stiff then what we can accomplish with H-Sports installed (i.e., air bag vs. coil over)

My 2.5 cents
Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your mechanic isn't totally off base... ;-)

It's quite true, that a "stiff" setup works best on high grip surfaces, and a "soft" setup works best on low grip surfaces. It's how any race car is tuned for mechanical grip. The problem is compounded with stiff anti-sway bars when greater wheel articulation is needed on uneven surfaces.

That said, just slow down (more) when it snows, and speed up (more) when it's dry. Try to avoid any greatly uneven surfaces, or you'll definately lift a wheel. But, Quattro can deal with that - I've tested it. =) Enjoy the H-Sports!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have had H-Sports on our allroads for the last three winters and I live in Truckee.

With the right tires (17 Michelin Alpins) there is not effect on traction. Just who are you taking your ar to?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I have had H-Sports on our allroads for the last three winters and I live in Truckee.

I'm taking it to George at German Motors in Lake Forest. He has been very knowledgeable on most stuff, and I trust him. I will put them on though after hearing the feedback here.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Changing settings

How hard is it to change settings? If they setting is changed from hard to soft, will it affect the alignment?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:28 AM

1) Easy 2) No
Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He's right in theory

but I doubt you'll notice in practice.

The only situation I can imagine an effect is if you drop one (and only one) wheel into a hole. Then stiffer sway bars will reduce the weight on that wheel and you might have more trouble getting unstuck.

Quick Reply: Swaybars in deep snow