Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tailgate won't open

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate won’t open

Originally Posted by Kneale
I've had issues with AR tailgates when they weren't sufficiently locked. Pushing DOWN on them and hitting the button in the driver door jamb has gotten the gate opened.
I have both pulled and pushed on the tailgate but it doesn’t budge. The tailgate appears be closed all the way. Will try pushing down on it again. Thanks for the suggestion.

I really do not look forward to trying to remove the inside panel covering with the tailgate closed. Why isn’t there an access cover to the lock mechanism like there is for the truck lid of the A6 sedan? Damn this is aggravating.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate won't open

Ok, update on this. The tailgate latch was jammed with the tailgate down. The locking actuators could be heard working when actuated manually with the key, the key fob and the interior door lock switches. With the lock opened there was resistance felt when trying to use the tailgate release handles. However, the tailgate latch would not open.

It is possible to remove the tailgate inner lower trim panel with the tailgate closed. However it is a bit more difficult as you are inside the back of the car and there is less room to get your fingers around the side edges of the panel to pry the (8) clips holding the trim panel onto the tailgate. This is of course the step after you have already removed the tailgate sun shade and the combined (8) screws (2 screws holding the sunshade return, 4 screws at the top under the sunshade once it is removed, 1 screw at the tailgate handle, and 1 screw under the safety triangle velcro holding strap).

Once the lower trim panel was removed the locking mechanism and actuators were completely accessible from inside the car. The actuators appeared to be working properly but it was not releasing the door latch. The actuator rods were easily removed from the latch mechanism. Even by hand trying to operate the latch release it did not open the latch mechanism. The two (13mm) nuts were removed to disconnect the latch from the tailgate (and then the electrical connector was disconnected). This allowed the tailgate to open and the latch mechanism was still attached to the striker. Using a small screwdriver I poked around through an opening at a couple plastic pieces inside the latch mechanism. Nothing appeared to be broken inside. And once one of the pieces was moved upward the door latch released the strike plate. I lubricated all the door latch components I could find and worked the lock plate open and closed many times. It appears the lock is functioning properly now.

I am leery to reinstall the latch mechanism again and put everything back together to have this happen again. But a new latch is currently running $175 so I think I will put the latch back on and use it without the interior trim panel for a time to make sure it continues to function properly.
The following users liked this post:
Kneale (05-24-2020)