Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Test drove an FX45, what about an Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove an FX45, what about an Allroad

I now have 117K miles on my Audi A8 and was thinking I would like something with ability to haul dogs, detailing supplies, house stuff, etc. Drove by a local used car dealer who specializes in high end stuff and they had an Infiniti FX35 there. My 10 year old son went with me. First words out of his mouth were, "It must be Japanese because they always look weird." I kind of like the offbeat looks, so we decided to check it out.

My first impression was that the interior was cheaply made. Certainly a downgrade from the A8, or an A4 for that matter. Got a plate and took off. First off, powerful V8, but a very noisy ride. It puts out more sound than power, in my opinion. Would drive me craze when I spend 8 to 10 hours in my car driving to Detroit or Columbus, OH and back to Indy. Felt tight though. Too tight, as in, Wow I would have thought there would be more room in here.

Then there was the ride. Sure its an SUV, but wow, I feel like I'm going to toss cookies. Made me car sick, even worse than those nights in college when I mixed wine, booze and beer. Small constant motions. I've driven my father in laws BMW X5 4.4, and it was much better to drive than this. My son's advice was right on, "Geez Dad, I like your car better!"

The A8 is a steal of a deal. Even though I've spent alot of money keeping it going, as in new tranny at 52K miles, I still love driving it.

I still would like to be able to haul stuff, including dogs, but unless I find something that drives as well, I guess I'm driving my 8.

How does the Allroad compare to driving my A8, or driving a highend SUV like the Toureg? I liked sitting up high, like in the FX, but I about tossed cookies, which isn't good.

Looking forward to your responses. I love my Audis, having owned an Audi 90 5speed, a 91 200TQ with a 5speed, a V8Q and now my A84.2. The Allroad idea does fascinate me.

Sam
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It sounds to me that you'll be better off

waiting for the new Audi Q7, it's supposed to hit the dealers in March/April next year. If you're strictly looking for an used car, then the allroad would be your only choice if you want to stay with Audi.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:19 AM

Default The allroad has a much more controlled ride than an SUV, but is still comfortable...

...because of its air suspension. Handling is much better than almost any SUV.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Came down to the same decision for me (allroad v fx).

i could not believe how little room there was in the fx. In addition the rear window is tiny so rear visibility was crappy at best. The throaty exhaust was kinda cool but then when you couple it with the massive chromed out wheels it looked like a little too corny/macho for me. Allroad 6 speed fits just right, lots of room and ***** when you need them. Good luck.

Joe
Old 11-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Don't even think about the FX45

Drove in one of a friend of mine. Noisy, crappy handling and cheapo interior.
The Allroad provides much more overall satisfaction. It is still a comfortable car to travel long stretches, especially if you are used to an A8, it will not disappoint you. However if you are looking for an SUV you should wait for the Q from Audi.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My boss went from an A6 2.7T to an FX35 - I told him it was a mistake at the time..

Now he really hates the car and can't wait to get out of it and back into another quality car like an Audi. We call it a PT Cruiser on steriods.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driving 3-4 hours on an AR is nothing ... extremely comfy

I was thinking of upgrading to a 2006 A6 Avant, but then I'll miss my AR ... and I don't know how the suspension of the 2006 A6 avant is? so my AR stays!
Old 11-27-2005, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sam, I hope you stay in an audi.....seems like you've had good luck with the brand..

good luck. You should consider a used S6 Avant too....if you like the pull and sound of a V8.

See my sig for some of the upgrades that I've done to my 2001 Avant. I just think that audi has the best looking avants on the market.

Good luck!
-ted