Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tether anchor points on the 2002 allroad

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 02:11 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tether anchor points on the 2002 allroad

My wife and I bought a 2002 allroad 6-speed shortly after we had our first child and to say that we love it would be an understatement. But there were a few bumps along the way. First, the car came without the LATCH mounting points which were retrofitted at the first oil service.

We have a Britax Roundabout with the tether for both rear and forward facing munchkins and there was no anchor point for the tether when the seat was rear facing (I ended up using the big steel loop on the bottom of the passenger shoulder belt). I asked Audi (dealer and AoA) a couple of times what they recommended and I got the usual "I'll find out and call you" - they never did.

Now we have another dilema. Caleb is big enough to go forward facing so I've got his seat LATCH'ed in on the passenger side. The book says to route the Tether over the top of the retracting cargo net (seperates the rear of the car from the passenger seats). The manual says to to try route the Tether through the net if you want to have it up when driving.

What we'd really like is to be able to route the strap between the the cargo net retractor and the back of the seat but I don't see a way that we can make that happen. Anybody have a solution or suggestion?

John Virnig
'02 allroad - black 6-speed
Old 02-25-2003, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The cargo net on the seat back can be removed (when the seat is folded down).

You might be able to route your strap over the seat, but under the cargo net mount when it's removed?
Old 02-25-2003, 02:28 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default Is that in the owners manual? (more)

I dinked around with it for awhile the other day and could see anything obvious to remove the retractor fromt he back of the seat. What am I missing? If I could remove it, route the strap and then remount it....I think that would be just about what I had in mind.

John Virnig
'02 allroad
Without enough snow this year to have much fun at all here in Waukesha, WI.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I should be in the manual...

It involves folding the seatback down, then sliding the entire cargo net contraption to the side, in order to disengage it. Or something like that... =)
Old 02-25-2003, 04:03 PM

Default Yes YOU should be in the manual

:-) You are a good resource for our little club.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Two things...

The top tether should not be used rear facing (at least according to the manual that came with both of our seats.) For setting the tether forward facing, try lowering the seatbacks, attaching the tether, putting the seats back up and latching them into place. Then you can latch in the lower anchor points and tighten everything up. I would be seriously concerned about routing the tethers over or through anything that could collapse in an accident.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oops. =)
Old 02-25-2003, 10:27 PM

Default Re: The cargo net on the seat back can be removed (when the seat is folded down).

It's easy to remove,fold the rear seats down,on a 60 40 split it is fixed to the 60 side.With the rear doors open it should just slide out.Might need a bit of a tug when you first do it.It is fixed in two places,roughly each end of the seat.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:47 AM

Default Here's a website

where you can find someone in your community to help you figure it out or inspect your installation to make sure it's correct. I used this when we installed a Britax Marathon in my wife's Saturn. You can also probably call your local fire dept. to find out this info.

<a href="http://www.seatcheck.org/" target="_blank">SeatCheck.Org</a>

Quick Reply: Tether anchor points on the 2002 allroad