Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Therapy call: am I insane to obsess over an LR3 as our future ar replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Therapy call: am I insane to obsess over an LR3 as our future ar replacement?

What's wrong with me? It's a heavy *ss truck, sucks fuel and carries the burden of a marque with a truly scary reliability reputation.

Is this a cry for help? Please, share all thoughts. I'm not planning to sell the ar now, at least I have no reason or intent to do so.

Maybe I should find the Rover forum and read reality checking stories there . . .
Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We looked really hard at the LR3 for wifey's new car. Need 3rd row. Ended up with a Pilot for

about 1/2 the money. No doubt the LR3 is attractive from some angles, but it was hard to justify it. In my mind there is an issue that I can't overcome - hardcore offroading capability and so fvcking expensive I can't scratch the paint are too opposed for automotive enjoyment.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can only dig the RR Sport...Supercharged.

The only reason I haven't done it is the reputation of LR/RR when it comes to reliability.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Default RMcQ-how do you like your Pilot? I plan on buying one soon to replace

the AR since it has 3 rows of seats.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Perfectly acceptable driving appliance. Glad it is my wife's car.

No joy from driving performance, but the Nav system is awesome. We even went offroading on the beach and it did great. Has a rear diff lock which is surprising.

Generally it was great buy. Lots for the money.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Scheduled for a remodel very soon, right? Same platform as new MDX.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Way I look at it

It is an exensive car to maintain and drive, so if you ain't getting the value in some manner (pleasure, perceived safety, looks, etc.), than it ain't worth it.

We just got ours, and it is clearly an awsome car. We ain't rich, and I've never even owned a car worth more than $13,000. I'm nervous and think about it all the time. But I'm going to stick with it for a bit and after 10,000 miles and $1000 repairs, I'll decide if its worth it.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default While my wifes Volvo has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks (again) I have been

lucky enough the dealer gave me a Range Rover as a loaner. I have no experience with the LR3 but if it is half as nice as the Range Rover you could do worse. After driving it though for 2 weeks I like our Q7 better but then again for the extra dollars you pay for a Range Rover you get a true luxury off-roading SUV.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default We own a '96 Disco; Yes, it's leaky, but it is a WORKHORSE and has pretty good grip for it's size...

Oh, and I might need therapy, too, since I'm thinking of a '97 RR4.6 until we can afford the Treg V10 TDI. The '96 Disco lacks the refinement of the RR, so we might 'trade up' for a few years while the Treg ages a bit.

Yes, Rover has poor build quality, but the DIsco are very rugged and will climb, tow, tug and go - a decent all around, 'true offroad' vehicle that does fine on the highway.

Still, methinks the LR3 is overpriced. I'd wait and buy a used one under warranty in a few years - let someone else take the depreciation hit. And, of course, the Disco is nothing as refined as the LR3, so my comparison really is apples to oranges...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Therapy call: am I insane to obsess over an LR3 as our future ar replacement?

Wow..I'm glad I stoped by tonight... I'm having the same feelings. I drove the LR3 and it was sweet--for a Milk truck. Much better ride than I thought. I have the AR but my wife wants a SUV and she likes "truck-like" feel. And I do like it too. However she's willing to get a second AR if I really don't want a Rover and all the headaches that could come with it. To be fair though all of our Audis have had more than their fairshare of time in the shop...I just like them so much it's worth it to me. But I totally felt like I wanted someone to talk me out of the LR3.

Quick Reply: Therapy call: am I insane to obsess over an LR3 as our future ar replacement?