Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Therapy call: am I insane to obsess over an LR3 as our future ar replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hee hee; that exactly what I called my Accord, an appliance!!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 AM

Default They are nice, but we just lost our only dealer servicer:( so for warranty work it would be a hassle

mustbe I would think about a 12 step program if it were me, but it's better than a BMW
Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 AM

Default P.S. This week in a snowstorm someone flipped one on the interstate...it held up pretty well but

I would be worried about how it got on its roof in the first place Many this size, height scare me with the rollover possibility IMHO.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:09 AM

Second... if I was to go Rover I would get the Supercharged Sport, but I probably wouldn't go Rover.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes. you are insane
Old 02-09-2007, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd - I have only 2 gripes about ours after 1 year:

1) front seat legroom is tight
2) road noise is pretty bad. There is just seemingly no sound-deadening insulation anywhere on the underbody, wheelwells or doors.

OK, three: it should have lower-profile tires. I think the handling would improve a bit without sacrificing ride much.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default the RR Sport is nothing more than...

a suped up Jag...there is a good video of it on You Tube (the britsh car guy) it got 8 miles on one gallon....looks nice, but is not a SUV by any means....check it out
Old 02-09-2007, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seeing that I already have a RR, I have (when in for service) had the LR3 as a loaner.

Not a bad ride, esp for a famil, foal weather, load master ride...Try looking here, if you already haven't for other information.
http://www.rangerovers.net/
Old 02-09-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: discoweb.org also having owned a rover I have some thoughts...

The LR3 is a car, not a truck. Old rovers like the discovery 1 (had a 95) are great offroaders, but the gizmos' and electronics make the lr3 a poor choice to wheel with. If you want to just drive a rover as you would a car, or your allroad. The allroad will be better at everything you ask of the LR3 except in towing. If your towing, get a Tahoe.

Mind you the LR3 will be okay as long as you have a warrenty, with a rover expect it to be in the shop. Just keep in mind, why your buying the rover. If you want an new offroader, get a jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon 4 door. If you want a new tow rig, buy a tahoe or suburban. If you want a new wagon/car buy a A6 avant or BMW 530 ix. If you want a LR3 to be like a car, stick with your allroad.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default He can't have learned to use the traction selector or whatever its called....

I don't remember if its an option or standard but the computer doohicky has a **** so that you can optimise the vehicle settings (Throttle response, traction control etc.) for the type of terrain you are traversing They must have left it on the sunny day setting. It takes the fun out of 4 wheeling if you ask me.

I know the early LR3's at least had a serious problem with the handbrake. I haven't driven one but understand they went to an electronic brake selector instead of the big mechanical lever we are all familiar with. Like many modern designs they added complexity for the sake of convenience which has reduced reliability.

I would be interested if they brought the diesel over as it gets pretty good mpg for an SUV without resorting to fancy gimmicks like turning off cylinders or adding hybrid technology.

Anyway - real Rovers have leaf springs and leak oil.

Cheers
Gregor

Quick Reply: Therapy call: am I insane to obsess over an LR3 as our future ar replacement?