Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Thinking about an addition to the family. Anybody have any Vanagon or Eurovan experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sienna is more expensive than Odyssey and does not have power lift gate. Wifey wanted that for sure!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

RIF
Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default makes me laff every time

This guy is famous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SW8CmgcfmE&amp;feature=related<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XvjVvFdMIY&amp;feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XvjVvFdMIY&amp;feature=related</a</li></ul>
Old 05-30-2008, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I should have specified.

I am not looking for a commuter. If I was, it sure as hell wouldn't be a VW van!

Looking for something for short road trips with the family. Our choice of recreational activities needs to be adjusted for a bit to cater to our little one (and probably one or two more in the future). Our backpacking trips will have to be traded in for some vehicle camping until the kids are old enough to carry there own gear.

The van would be used for weekend trips to the lake and such. It would also be another project for me, seeing as how the stock flat four simply won't suffice for my automobile needs.

I am probably leaning more towards a vanagon, definitely a camper model, rather than a Eurovan. I believe they are both going to be money pits in a way, so why not start out with a shallower one? Eurovans seem to cost way too much for the unreliable vehicle they are.

And the upgrade options sound fun: tdi motor, vr6, 1.8T, subaru, or porsche options...
Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Pay no attention to all the transmission failures. I would feel less like conformist with a Eurovan

I agree the toyota &amp; honda are probably better vehicles but I can't stand to do it. I WON'T do it!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It will soon become apparent why everybody has a darn mini van or suv.

I have a S8 and the allroad for my family (two kids 3yrs &amp; 7 months) We can't take anyone anywhere . My parents live just down the road and if we want to go out to dinner or something we have to take two cars . Two child seat in the back &amp; no room left . Just wait until he or she wants to have a friend come over . you need two cars to get the kids home &amp; with currant laws they will be in these seats until they are driving for themselves. Get something you really like because you will spend more time in it than you want or think .
Don't fool yourself the eurovan will be far more reliable and nicer to drive than the Vanagon!
I Strongly suggest you go drive BOTH before you do this . I agree the Westie Eurovans are outrageously priced I would go with a standard van not a westie because I can't pay 30k for a 7 year old van. Do you really plan to cook in the van? They both have beds just not the stove &amp; fridge.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default then a westie/camper is perfect. my buddy is looking for a 911 motor for his

even though subies are plentifull he wants a German aircooled powerplant.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Default I have a Vanagon and I love it.....

I'll love it more once I put my Subaru motor in it!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

What year and model do you have and which sub motor are you installing?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 AM

Default My Vanagon is the 7 seat GL and ..................

The Subaru engine is a 1993 EJ22 that I got with 65k miles on it.

I have replaced the head gasket, valve cover gaskets, the timing belt and every pully since I had it on a engine stand.

A couple months ago I picked up a 1994 Subaru SVX and pulled the 3.3 6 cylinder engine, the wiring harness and scrapped the rest. I am holding onto this engine for when I locate a Syncro Van.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an addition to the family. Anybody have any Vanagon or Eurovan experience?