Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Was thinking about heat resistant paint....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was thinking about heat resistant paint....

and using it on the exterior of the airbox. Going flat black or soemething stealthy. Would heat resistant paint even be worth it? Would it have any effect at all?

About a year ago I went the heat resistant tape route on the airbox, but that starting peeling off several months ago. The paint route seems more long term and permanent, so would this even be worth it? What do you guys think?
Old 08-02-2004, 12:46 PM

Default How about just getting the hot air outa there

RS6 fender liners seem like a good idea.

-df<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/407370.phtml">clickity-clack</a></li></ul>
Old 08-02-2004, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I ordered the RS6 Liners from Clair parts but they are not here yet.

Will let you know how it goes when I get them.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Am I correct to assume that we do not have to jack up?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:20 PM

Default the paint that is heat resistant is not insulation

but painting the covers does look cool...hehehe. If you want to prevent heat soak from the intake, you can use reflective insulation that they use in aircraft and other race cars, it is slightly foam filled, but then silver on the outside...flexible like a cloth, and wrap it around the intake and airbox. The only issue is since there is so much plumbing between the intake, turbos, and intercoolers...the best option to keep things cool is intercoolers, either increase their size, add a H2O sprayer on them, or do the fender vents like others are suggesting...having a cold airbox really does not make too much of a difference when you then have that air run through the turbos....it is already a coldair intake, log your temps and see what the differences are at rest and running, I believe you will see a 30-40 degree celcius difference in intake temps. We logged these on a W8, and that airbox is almost the same...we should log them on my car and see what happens..

Ultimately, having increased intercooler efficiency is the way to go, that will increase the density of the boosted air, that is where you want the temps to be lower....that is where things make the difference on a performance standpoint.

cheers
jon
Old 08-02-2004, 04:26 PM

Default look further up in the linked thread.

The pix show the car on jackstands for the install. I *think* that's what you're asking.

-df
Old 08-02-2004, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What good is an insulated air box when the air has to proceed to a 50 billion degree turbo?

You are better off focusing your efforts on increasing intercooler efficiency with either more air, bigger intercoolers, or sprayers.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Right, but that is an A6 and I noticed the liner has slots for the suspension...

I guess it may be easier to get at the screws holding the liner in place with wheels off.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Makes sense, thanks for the input...

It also makes sense when you think about how quickly the air passes through the airbox.

Though, colder air is more compressed than warmer air right? Wouldn't it make any difference? Though again, the air is passing through things so quickly that the overall factor is the outside temp of the ambient air more than anything else, which we cannot controll.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Like I said earlier, adn RMcQ...the intercooler is where it matters,....

as the turbo is what adds compression and boost, despite the temp, but when you cool it down afterwards, the air becomes much more dense, and provides more boost. Intercoolers, outside cooling flow through the intercooler (ie wheel well liner vents), and maybe a sprayer set up are your best options for making a significant difference. Look at the RS4 intercoolers, they have more capacity, but would be useless without exit vents in the wheel wells or on the side of the front bumper...you need that outside air traveling through it to make a difference in the temp of the boosted air traveling on the inside of the intercooler.