Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Thinking of buying a high mileage Allroad, advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a high mileage Allroad, advice needed please!

Hi guys I'm new on here and a prospective owner of an Allroad. What a superb forum this is as I've gleaned a whole load of info from this forum already.

Right to cut to the chase - I'm looking at buying a 54plate Allroad 2.5tdi with 95,000miles on the clock. I've not seen the car yet but understand that it has had one owner for its entire life and has been serviced by Audi for all but one of its services.
The Cam belt has not been changed but the dealer is willing to do this If I buy this vehicle.
Obviously without seeing the logbook I can't say for sure what else has been changed but what else should I be looking for in a car of this mileage that should have been replaced.
In addition are their any tests I can conduct on the suspension to see if it functions correctly?

Thanks guys and I look forward to any information you can provide me.

Thanks
Saul
Old 12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to mention its also the manual that I'm looking at. Can I expect better fuel economy from this set up 32mpg??
Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Saulmac welcome to the forum.
I bought a very similar allroad ex company car with a full dealer service history. I too was concerned with the mpg but if you are careful and keep the revs down with a high cetane diesel I have had 37mpg out of her. It has so much torque you can pretty much drive it in 2nd 4th and 6th. Or you can really dive it and average mid thirties. I would say its not a quiet engine from outside the car because it's an older design but I kind of like it, and the V6 sounds great when its pulling like a train. Check the display for any faults also cycle the suspension heights, check tyres they are quite expensive in the UK, check all the electrics windows etc and mirrors aircon etc. It should idle smooth and slow. check the gear box is smooth and clutch holds the torque! I must say first gear is mega short and will take a while to learn how to drive it(it was my first diesel) oh ps i find it won't stop on a six pence and the braking is very progressive I suppose it's because it's such a heavy car.
Where about are you?
Sorry that's all I can think about so far in a rush but will be online later.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jem90
Hi Saulmac welcome to the forum.
I bought a very similar allroad ex company car with a full dealer service history. I too was concerned with the mpg but if you are careful and keep the revs down with a high cetane diesel I have had 37mpg out of her. It has so much torque you can pretty much drive it in 2nd 4th and 6th. Or you can really dive it and average mid thirties. I would say its not a quiet engine from outside the car because it's an older design but I kind of like it, and the V6 sounds great when its pulling like a train. Check the display for any faults also cycle the suspension heights, check tyres they are quite expensive in the UK, check all the electrics windows etc and mirrors aircon etc. It should idle smooth and slow. check the gear box is smooth and clutch holds the torque! I must say first gear is mega short and will take a while to learn how to drive it(it was my first diesel) oh ps i find it won't stop on a six pence and the braking is very progressive I suppose it's because it's such a heavy car.
Where about are you?
Sorry that's all I can think about so far in a rush but will be online later.
Thanks very much for the info.

I'm in Perth Scotland(on an Oil Rig in the North Sea at present!)