Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Thinking of doing some Audi Club DE events with the Allroad. I need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of doing some Audi Club DE events with the Allroad. I need advice...

I have an 02' with the 6MT and the APR software running. Other than that, the car is stock. I was thinking about doing some tasteful mods that would allow the Allroad to be better suited for these DE events while maintaining it's great nature on the road. The first concern is obviously brakes. I do have the S4 style 4 pad front brakes, but they will still be woefully inadequate in my opinion. Is there a reasonable priced upgrade that will perform adequately on the track and without spending $1500? Also, I do not want to give up the benefit of the air suspension on the street, but would like my car to handle better. What handling mods would you suggest? Finally, I know with the MY 02' 2.7 is basically the S4 motor and is built more stout that later 2.7s, but is there anything that I should be worried about upgrading with the motor or tranny before I take it out to do this? I appreciate any feedback that you have.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default H-sport sway bars, do this now just for you. Not related, but have you replaced

by pass valves with newer, improved models? Can improve current performance and it's a low cost DIY project if you're at all interested in that approach.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I am planning on upgrading to the 710N valves.

What is the best brand and where is the best place to buy the sway bars. Do you guys recommend front and back? Does it adversely affect the air suspension or handling on the street? I do not mind a tighter ride as I have owned many performance cars, in fact I would prefer the Allroad to be a bit tighter with less roll.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

H-Sports are a front and rear kit.Got mine from Pure Motorsports.They are mandatory
Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default You may be surprised.

I did several events with mine... Bone stock. Everybody laughed. "are you really taking grandpa's wagon on the track?" by the end of the second set they moved me to the higher run group because I had passed them all! The best performance mod you can do to ANY car is to improve the driver. Get experience, then decide.

I had summer performance tires on it, and that's all. With the suspension on low handling is pretty good, although there is some body roll for sure. You will have plenty of fun as is, and you'll learn. After a time or two you can figure out what makes sense for you and your car.

I'd suspect your brakes may be the weak point if they fade. Replacing suspension is a big move on this car and will hurt resale. It will really change the character of the car. If you don't like it, it'd be hard to go back. Go out there first!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned

Very accurate. 1st time, stay stock, fresh oil & brake fluid, upgrade pads. Brakes are #1!!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Brakes...

Get different pads, either aggressive street pads, if you feel like leaving them on all the time, or something intended for track use. I'm sure the S4 board is a wealth of information about your options. I bit the bullet and laid out for Porterfield R-4S pads and they've been great. Changing out fluid is also a must - the OEM stuff is crap for the track. Motul RBF600 is good stuff, but pricey; I think a couple guys in the local club are planning on trying Pentosin Racing Brake Fluid ES#2164 this summer.

Then, if you decide you want to track a 4200# pig on a regular basis, it might be worth spending the $1500.

At the first DE I did after getting H-sports, the instructor at the slalom couldn't believe how flat the big wagon stayed despite me wrestling it around the cones faster than most of the people in my group; as everyone else has indicated, they're a must-have.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H-sport sway bars first, as for the brakes

I generally found they would stop well enough for about 15 min or so of track time (small tight track with lots of braking) then would get spongy. you could try something like pagid orange pads which should last longer and should handle the higher temps better.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i've had a track day with my 03, APR, 6 speed too...

the only diff are that my ar is 402 modded down about 18-20 mm and I have h-sports. I went when I had the stock dual pad calipers with stock rotors and all.. I did smoke them badly and they were shot after the day. Its only a mattter of better pads for a day like this. Ones that can hold the heat and stress.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nopi dot com for the h-sports...

they have had the best price in the past. its a DIY if you like working on your back or about 2 hours of labor at an indy.

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing some Audi Club DE events with the Allroad. I need advice...