Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Those with big brakes - if you had it to do again, would you do same or something different?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I never said that proper tightening of the fastener involved was not crutial. I stated that because

The bolt was torqued to an in lb. spec. has nothing to do with the load it experiences in its job as you implied. The forces on a hat are very similar to the forces on a caliper. "every action has an equal & opposite reaction" so when we clamp the rotor with the caliper and the caliper bolts try to sheer off the rotor hat is experiencing the same force. That's all I am saying. Of corse we need to observe proper tightening of all involved fasteners. I just have a problem with you saying because the rotor hat is torqued to an in. lb. spec it somehow sees a lower load than the caliper. This is not true.
I'm sure the rotor hat is safe I was merely pointing out that you had a non OE adaptor on your set up you seem to have been overlooking.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yea! I looked for some pics on my original ball busting post but could not find any

I had seen pics of the hats on some kits cracking & crumbling from electrolysis between all the mixed up metal combined with some road salt & water. It's not unusual at all to see the older Porsche aluminum hubs swelling blistering and flaking around the steel studs & rotor.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

What no reply?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What no reply?

Never said it doesn't receive the same force, the application or force distribution is different.

Pushing 2,4 or 6 piston onto a disk very much creates a very central area of friction, stress, energy and heat transfer and my problem doesn't lie with that.
It is plainly the installation of brackets onto the caliper which I've experienced to fail, that's all there is to it and I just don't support it.

The design of ECS rotor hats is a carbon copy of a major brake manufacturer so if they EVER fail then we have a real problem.

People complain about failing hardware but some simply don't understand that bolts for example should be replaced when taken out because they now out-grown their elasticity, the same is valid for rotor had hardware.

In case you want to carry on with this topic then feel free to do so but I'll have to prepare next years club events so my time is more than limited......which leads to very little time on AW, unfortunately.

Cheers!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Although I may eventually go to a Cayenne based setup, the OEM HP2s have worked well.