Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

The time has come to move on

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The time has come to move on

As much as I love my ar it has slowly been developing issues one by one which made me decide I do not want to put more money into it (after spending $1000 on two new tires and front suspension fix, hah)

It's the best car I ever owned and I actually went to look at a really clean 2014 with 88000kms(60k miles) to replace it with but unfortunately it has driver side rear airspring issues which the owner denied at first.

As I drove to his house I saw the car turn into the street right in front of me and I figured I will just follow him home to find the place but he was doing a loop around the block and I noticed the right rear was low. When I told him that the side is visibly down plus when I started the car the level light flashed and had to pump it up despite him just having driven it he acknowledged the problem but said he didn't know what it was.

I was hoping to keep the fun going by buying a low mileage car that would give me many years of trouble free enjoyment but seeing that even this car had issues I decided it was time to move on.

I'm going to see if I can get anything from mine from someone who wants to take on the project but realistically I will look into parting it out and scraping it. When the time comes I will start a thread if anyone here wants anything.

As for the replacement. I'm looking at a Touareg which will provide most of the utility the ar provided. At first my wife did not want a large SUV but we test drove a 2010 V6 TDI which impressed both of us and we are seriously thinking of getting it. I like the fuel savings the TDI provides (I have no plans for towing anything) but my wife would mostly do short trips to work (5-10km) and I read the TDI can have issues if the engine doesn't get a chance to heat up properly on each trip. Need to do more research on that.

I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all their help (direct or indirect) I greatly enjoyed being here (I'm posting this on both forums aw and qw).
Old 06-19-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure the TDI isn't part o the pending dieselgate recall. The fix should be announced at the end of this month.

If you do decide to part it out, I would be interested in a bunch of interior parts. Where are you located?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrKid
Make sure the TDI isn't part o the pending dieselgate recall. The fix should be announced at the end of this month.

If you do decide to part it out, I would be interested in a bunch of interior parts. Where are you located?
I believe the 3.0 TDI is included but my understanding is that it's a software fix.

I'm in Toronto, Canada. Since I have the life time fix on the shocks I'm going to have my mech look at it and perhaps fix the suspension so that it's drivable and maybe someone will give me a couple something for it. But if not, I will post here. I can PM you if you want.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah, Canada may be a bit pricey to ship a headliner and tailgate trim.

On the plus side, it seems like you spent the up front money on suspension, so it should be a relatively inexpensive fix. Relative to other Audi repairs...
Old 06-20-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, it's official. I have finalized the deal for a like new 2010 Touareg 3L TDI. It was a California car and it was imported to Canada in 2014 which means it's totally clean in and out. With 109000kms (about 75k miles) it should last longer than the ar did. I put almost 300000kms (185k miles).

Well if, if I can't sell the ar, and if I get enough interest from the US, I can drive things down to Niagara Falls and mail them from there. The headliner is in perfect condition. If the tailgate trim is the liner on the inside that's also in good shape. I wonder how much all the airbags are worth and if my fully loaded APR CPU is transferrable.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, the APR ECU is transferable Many Many people that are tunes, have a stock ECU backup.What color is the interior. I may be willing to take a road trip to Niagra. Never been there.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's the highland green, green in and out.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Damn...Grey.