Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tip Lag still present in new ('04) allroad 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip Lag still present in new ('04) allroad 2.7

I drove a brand new 2.7 yesterday... (only 41 miles on the clock when I sat in the drivers' seat).

Unfortunately, I have to report that Tip lag and BTL (even with the S mode) is still alive and well in the brand new allroads. Admittedly, it is slightly resolved in normal mode, but it's still the same symptoms:

On brake, then off break and plant the accelerator... and wait. One one thousand, two one thous - WOWIEEEEE.

Sport mode does not cure the BTL, though it does minimize some of the Tip lag once underway.

I wanted to drive a 4.2 immediately afterwards, but the dealer didn't have one. On a hunch, I asked if we could drive an A6 4.2 with a Tip. BTL and Tip lag was still there, too, but reduced as <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/81705.phtml">previously reported</a>.

It's a smart transmission - but it sure seems to be doing a lot of thinking before it works for us.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very curious. I have an allroad 4.2 and have no noticable lag

I am familiar with the lag "feel", having driven both a 2000 A6 and a 2001 allroad 2.7, so I know what you're referring to. I just don't seem to detect it in my 4.2. I do keep it in 'S' mode most of the time however.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tip Lag in my '04 with 250 miles

In my quest for the perfect allroad I have driven a few of them without any noticable lag. The local dealer gave me an Atlas tip with premium and cold package for the day. Before I pull the trigger I got to drive it as I'd own it, and it's in the garage now. Tip lag is very noticable on this car in normal or 'S' mode. When coming off the brake, the car pauses as if the car has to take a deep breath before swimming the length of the pool underwater. I found it maddening, and I can't buy it. I didn't notice this in the '01 tip, or a previous '04 rides I tested. If I didn't drive an '03 with a manual I would have thought it was some engine issue like turbo lag. It isn't. I feel sorry for this beautiful, troubled car that I won't give a home to. It's so fast when underway, but so slow when I want to cut and hussle through an opening in traffic.

The car was delivered to me wet out of the wash bay, but it was still dirty. The windows were very dirty on the inside, also. I washed it yesterday to experience the shine, but left the windows. Tonight I'll see if he has any manuals in stock. Saturday, he just threw me the keys to this one. A nice program to let me live with the car. I love the ride, handling and night lighting inside and out. Switchgear is typically German confusing, even to this Porsche driver.

It's a shame also that the electronics seem to be old school. No screen based nav available in the dash, no blue tooth. The quattro drive is what got me in the door along with the excellent fit and finish. The wife and kids love it.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Conversation with Tech re TIP LAG...

My wife's A4 2.8Q has TIP Lag annd in speaking with one of the techs at my delaer I mentioned the TIP lag... he said it is somewhat universal on all Audi TIPs. He mentioned that while the lag has diminished...somewhat ... over the years.. its still present, but the ecu is designed to learn how to respond with the driver.

He mentioned for an aggressive driver to just hop in to a new car, or one that is not theirs.. floor it and expect a quick shift... just isn't going to happen. But if that same drive has the car for a few hours and drives agggessively all the time... then the lag will lessen as the TIP ECU learns which program programs to use for this driver.

The car has to get used to the driver...

When I take my wife's car for a drive.. rarely... the shifting is slow... after all she may drive 50 miles a day but its all bumper to bumber and NYCity driving. When I get in there is a def. pause when I floor it, but if I've driven it hard.. the pause lessens, I even find it hold the gears to a higher rev after a time.

Just an observation...

glad mine is a stick..
Old 05-17-2004, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've heard about the 'learning transmission'

I can attest that the tip has learned to hold gears longer, but the lag didn't go away, or even lessen after my generally brisk driving in it for over a day. Particularly after using the brake, the tranny just...pauses. My current pedestrian Dodge Intrepid ES has 'autostick,' a 'learning transmission' that does not pause like that regardless of the driver's profile. It seems like the computer comands the engine to pause while the tranny considers: hmm, 3rd or 2nd? Shift, okay, power on (in a rush). The car is no dog, but I can't anticipate my need for power that far in advance and be a happy driver.

For this car on this drive, it feels like the term I've read here - dreaded tip lag.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It still exists...

The only thing that others have posted that liminates the TIP lag is the TIP-Tranny Chip from GIAC.

But, I'd be talking with my delear first... perhaps there is a re-flash to solve it.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "The car has to get used to the driver... "

I would argue the reverse.

And - to date - there's no way of getting around Tip Lag (none). It can be - and has been - minimized, but nothing has removed it.

I've learned my lesson - If I do another allroad, I'll go for the manual.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's never eliminated.. but i have found it does not lag quite as long...

but its still objectionable.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default The cure, today, is a manual, CVT or DSG -- my Audi technician friends say it is there even . . .

. . .in the 6spd Tip.