Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tire size and quattro question - replacement tire, shave tread or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire size and quattro question - replacement tire, shave tread or not?

I need to replace one snow tire. The others have about 8 to 10 /32nds of tread remaining, but a new tire will have 13/32nds according to manufacturer specs. This creates a rotation difference, even if small. Tire Rack offers tread shaving to spec for a new tire purchase, probably $30ish extra.

To shave or not, and why? Will this really affect quattro system?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More: Gary @ TR tells me two things: Audi suggests 4/32nds max diff

and my tire is discontinued in that size so I need to look around hard!
I guess I could try to match the new tire with a deep tread old one at 10/32nds on the same axle, and Gary also points out that new tires wear faster than old due to squirm.

Any opinions here?
It's a Bridgestone WS-50, 215 65 16, BTW.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 AM

Default Good luck finding a place to shave a tire locally...if you read about my asking around

here is was a joke...you would have to find an active hard surface racing team with capabilities or an old-fashioned tire shop that didn't care about the warranty on the new one...I couldn't find either here and am looking at having to replace all four here shortly, but the other three were worn more than yours...I also am experiencing both problems with the brakes and vibration at both high and low speed which of course is compounded by them both occuring at the same time (the new brakes and needing a new tire)...I did get the new one Road Force balanced and that made a big difference (you would maybe want to do all four)...I guess if Tire Rack will do it to spec go for it, but if you have issues with an online company it may be difficult to sort out after the sale...you might be better off finding a local outlet that goes through TireRack, which I even have available here and wonder why no let me know that TireRack would do this? Oh well, some of them didn't even know what I was asking for

Bottom line answer to your question is that it might or it might not Good luck.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If I buy locally, as I might have to, I'll forego the shaving and use full tread.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if you can get the tire shaved before putting it on the car do so.

need to find an old school performance tire shop (ask the porsche club folks) in order to find someone to do it.

in all cases the shop will only shave the tire if new. otherwise, rocks and debris in the tread tends to hurt the machine operator during the shaving.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:19 AM

Default I ran a set that was new rear, and 6/32 front for a week, and had no issues...

though I don't know what would have happened in a panic stop or a skid situation.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was worried about mechanical issues with quattro, mostly.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:11 AM

Default I would think they would vibrate before anything as I understand? i.e. before quattro would be

impacted...please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm running with pretty high vibration right now and if that is impacting quattro I'm sunk.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The size differential in theory means parts of the drivetrain might spin at different

speeds as the car moves. These drivetrain components (driveshafts, etc.) are mechanically linked by the quattro system. These speed differences must be relieved, and the system will tolerate some with no problem. You might be thinking of scuffing where the drivetrain drags or scuffs a tire against its course to relieve this strain. That's pretty extreme, but why old "part time" style 4 wheel drive trucks can't run in 4WD all the time. Quattro is more sophisticated, but could be harmed in theory.
Vibration usually relates to tire and wheel balance, or brake rotors or some other rotating item that's out of whack.
I profess no expertise, but does this help?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thread jack - you are being paged. see about 6 threads up.

Quick Reply: Tire size and quattro question - replacement tire, shave tread or not?