Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Which Top Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy it from L.L. Bean...

...and you get a lifetime warranty. Bean's replaced two busted Thule upright bike racks for me...
Old 05-20-2003, 11:28 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Buy it from L.L. Bean...

L.L. Bean carries the Evo 1600 for $390, but not the Cascade 1500. $40 for delivery ain't bad, either. I've seen $100 from some places. And a lifetime warranty could be a nice thing to have. Hmmmm.....

John Virnig
Waukesha, WI
Old 05-20-2003, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmm... never had any Yakima stuff break. =)
Old 05-20-2003, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That last sentence especially, makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good idea! We get everything else there...
Old 05-20-2003, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I've owned Yakima racks for years, but bought the Thule...

Evo 1600. You wouldn't belive how much stuff you can pack into the box, not just because of the 33" width but also because of the unique height shape. It would be a tight squeeze to include bikes on the AR roof with the box, unless you have wider cross bars. We can fit two bikes on the X5 roof with 44" cross bars and the box on top.

By the way, I work in Waukesha, I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: mother in law carrier............

I mean all the boxes seemed lighter than I would have thought. Just an observation. That is my thought having never picked one up. Any heavier they'd be a real pain in the ***.

16cu feet for mountineer, I guess I forgot. Finish has held up well. I love the tons of room and figured if you your gonna get one, get it big. I bought it for my wifes ml320, not the allroad. The width is very helpful. particually at the ends. I have also put two hockey bags and sticks up there! As I said, depends on your needs. It was cheaper to get a box than a suburban. The gas would have killed me. Remember you can also put two boxes up there!

Thinking of getting a awd sienna van, and would still use it for skis! Last day when we check out of lodge, its nice to just throw all that dirty crap up in the box and keep it out of the interior.

Beach trips its nice to put golf clubs, beach chairs, sand toys, boogie boards up top. Leaves lots of room for coolers, food, cloths, inside.

Also known as the mother in law carrier
Old 05-21-2003, 08:13 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Can I sneak a bike next to the Evo 1600 (which is 33" wide)??????
Old 05-21-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always get wider cross bars & mount the bikes outside the rails in a pinch.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:11 AM

Default My Yakima nightmare...

Yakima box fully loaded with skiis and snowboards. Very, very windy day. We're talking 100 km/h gusts.

Got hit with a crosswind on the highway while driving 120 km/h. Damn box opened. The top disintegrated, spewing debris all over the highway. Thank goodness the traffic was light. No one got hit. And double thank goodness my cargo was strapped down.

I took a real good look at the remains and here's what I think happened.

While both locks were locked, I believe the front lock was not fully engaged. It let go and then basically ripped the rear lock out of the plastic.

When I got to the ski hill after mucho duct tape and bungee cord repairs, I just tossed the damn thing in the dumpster. I was too pissed off to argue it with Yakima or try to salvage parts. Besides, I think it was partially my fault for not fully engaging the front lock.

So now I have a Thule. I like its more positive locking action and the single lock. Less to go wrong. I looked for a box that opened in the rear but couldn't find one other than the Packasport which I think is way too heavy.

Quick Reply: Which Top Box