Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Towing with an allroad

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with an allroad

I didn't seem to rise much comments about using my allroad for towing a travel traler TT. Since i read threads (few months) on this forum i have seen few ar owners that used their ar to tow their race (A4-RS4) car on a traler. I am interested to know what kind of weights you are towing. I know some have installed OEM hitch and i have order one directly from Westfalia,Germany. At the risk of repeating myself, have you used distribution load hitch bars or equalizer bars and antisway ?? Any further comments will be welcome. Ciao!!
Henriot
Old 09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I tow with lots of vehicles...

I don't think you'll need load distributing bars for any single axle trailer you want to tow with the AR.

When I pull full car trailers, enclosed or open, they do make a difference. Don't make us guess, what is it that you plan on towing?

You don't want to tow an enclosed car trailer, do you?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I tow with lots of vehicles...

I intend to tow a travel traler (camping / caravaning) total lenght 28-30', weighing approx 5000 to 5500 # loaded with goodies...Tralers are usualy 8'wide and 9.5' high....soo it is a good thing to have an antisway high of some kind...isn't it ??
Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default thats a pretty big trailer for an ar

I spent a year reseraching, reading online, and getting flamed for towing a 1800 lbs boat w/o trailer brakes with my passat. I drive hyper careful while towing and never had a problem.

I continually seek out trailer towing tips on the internet. Most people are super negative about towing anything with a european car.

But in your case, if you really want to tow something that big your ar probably won't cut it. Is a touareg or Q7 an option?

Most Touareg owners shy away from anything over 26-28 feet just due to length.

club touareg has a towing forum and several ppl are using load dist hitches. You might be able to learn something from them. But, if you are getting a euro westfalia hitch, it probably does not have the capacity to add the north america weight distribution hardware...

sorry to be a downer, but I've gone through a lot of nay sayers and feel my set up is pretty reasonable. But, I wouldn't try what you are doing...

All though this forum has proven the ar to be an adept tow vehicle, this is a big trailer with a big frontal surface. 28-30 feet must be dual axle. You're gonna need brakes. You really need to do it right. A trailer that size has at least a 500 lbs tongue wt, maybe more like 700 lbs. I think that is quite a bit over even the euro specs not to mention a lot of work for your air susp.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In Germany the AR is certified to tow 750kg unbraked and 2100kgs braked

the 2100kgs is also only allowed upto a maximum gradient of 8%.

Normally in Germany the maximum allowable trailer nose weight is 75kgs. I don't know if any of this is any help.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have to agree...

I tow my A4 with my 18 foot alu trailer with no problems. I wouldn't want to be towing a camper that long! The main issue will be tongue weight that you can't really get around...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Towing with an allroad...

Thank you BBB for the info (you seem to know EU well).
Golf18t,thanks also for your comments, they are relevant. I have analyse the situation from different angles and of course my main concern is the tongue weight. I surely need to reinforce the OEM hitch for that but itself it is no problem. Then up to 500 # of tongue weight (with WD hitch) there shouldn't be a problem on the air suspension, and the loading of the car. GVWR allow to take that of course it is substract from it and reduce the weight of passagers and luggages to be carry. My other concern was the capacity of the frame itself, but again after some technical analysis i concluded that it can sustain it.
Steve_Ag Arrow, I know that your trailer and the A4 cannot be compared to a TT of 28' but what is the performance of the AR in acceleration with that weight to tow ? Full weight with the trailer must be over 4000 # isn't it ???
Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"You're going to need a bigger boat" - Police Chief Brody
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it can handle the weight of the A4 and trailer.

I have pulled at most about 4,500 lbs and you can feel the weight. I have a full exhaust and chip on the 2.7 and it is strong.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 AM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Be careful stopping, too...

read the second last paragraph in Ed's post<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/175820.phtml">here.</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Towing with an allroad