Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tranny automatically kicks down even when in Tip mode???? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 07:50 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny automatically kicks down even when in Tip mode???? WTF?

Is cruising along in 5th at 60mph in "Tip" mode, flooring it, and the tranny downshifting to 3rd gear regardless of the intent to stay in 5th gear a "feature" of the Tiptronic? I would have hoped not, but it seems I was wrong. The second I floored it, I wanted immediate, full acceleration IN FIFTH GEAR, not 4th and certainly not a passenger-unsettling downshift to over 5000rpm in 3rd gear.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tranny automatically kicks down even when in Tip mode???? WTF?

This is the way Audi wants it, unlike Porsche, who's cars stay in the gear selected when you floor it. Apparently Audi wants you to have a kick down mode with the Tip
Old 12-17-2003, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, I can see it now...

Someone suing Audi because the tranny did not down shift and they could not get out of the way of the semi they just pulled out in front of. Bet that is why it's programmed that way.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:51 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should feel the kick-down switch...

...when you do a panic stomp. Unless they changed things from '01 to '02 (and therefore later, presumably), there's a subtle click at the bottom end of the accelerator pedal's play. This is where the switch is (although it's probably part of the DBW system). You can do an almost WOT acceleration without hitting the switch with only a little practice. HPH
Old 12-17-2003, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Tranny automatically kicks down even when in Tip mode???? WTF?

There are so few reasons to be in Tip mode -- lower performance perhaps overall -- when I had mine (which was connected to the wonderful Audi 4.2 V8, I totally gave up on tip mode -- it has a mind of its own.)

If you have a tip, my condolences first -- if it is new enough to have S mode -- well for my $50K that is where I'd keep it.

If you have a 4.2 allroad -- does it shift out of 1st gear in tip mode at about 3 mph unless floored still?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:27 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Well, I almost rammed into the back of a car in front of me because of unwanted "extra" acceleration

I had just merged onto the freeway and was coasting down behind a slower car in front of me, so I was in Tip mode purely to have extra control of the allroad, like I'm used to with a manual transmission. I was gaining on that car and had gotten real close to its back bumper while a car in the left lane was passing me. The instant the faster car in the left lane passed me and it was clear to change lanes, I floored the accelerater and changed lanes. Since I was still partly behind the slow car when the tranny kicked down, I closed the gap between my front right bumper and that car's left rear bumper faster than anticipated coming within about 2 feet of hitting it.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:27 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

It's a 2002, hence it's a 2.7T.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:41 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting...

...because I feel just the other way: there are so few reasons to be in Auto mode.

From what I've read, the allroad Tip is different from the (older) A6 4.2 Tips, though (for example, the allroad Tip holds 1st).

At first, I needed to get used to the timing of the (rather slow) shifts, but now it's second nature to anticipate both up- and down-shifts (including throttle bumps) so that I feel more control than I ever did with my previous(A4) five-speed manual. Six gears would sure be nice, though. HPH
Old 12-17-2003, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm with HPH on this...............

.... having had this car now for 2½ years, I have become accustomed to the behavior of the tip and, while less than perfect, it is much more fun to drive in tip mode than using the regular auto mode which also has serious limitations. With the recent weather in the NE, it has also been a safety factor to use the tip for more effective control. I agree 6 speed would be more fun, but I hate manual cars in traffic jams and we get plenty of them around here.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Like most other tip driver here you learn to squeez the gas.

It's tough getting used to so much power in a wagon.

Quick Reply: Tranny automatically kicks down even when in Tip mode???? WTF?