Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Transmission failure at 130k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first and second are gone for sure, clutch packs?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADRIFT
Just replaced the clutch on my allroad. My RS4 clutch lasted 7k miles before the springs on the pressure plate collapsed. Have put a standard clutch back in for now, $1800 before tax in BC. Don't know if the extra weight of the allroad contributed to the shorter life of the clutch but that was not very long at all. Too many sprints off the line I guess. My original clutch lasted 82k, second one 34k, last one 7k, the cost of that extra 150 hp.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any DTC codes? Does it move at all? Limp mode will default to 3rd gear I believe. Unusual for two gears to go out at the same time for mechanical failure. I just rebuilt mine, since the reverse was weak. The D drum is a known mechanical failure (weak or no reverse) along with torque converter seal, both of which I replaced.

Going over the ZF clutch chart data, the only thing 1 & 2 gear have in common is the G brake. It's the same drum as the D brake, just the opposite side. It might have failed, but uncommon to cracking, since the housing is super thick on the G brake side. It could be the G brake solenoid on the valve body. If so, that's repairable simply by dropping the pan and filter, BUT, I'm not finding a solenoid dedicated to 1 & 2 gear only. They are tied in with other gears as well.

Clutch A is for 1 & 2 gear, but also 3 & 4 gear too. If only 1 & 2 are gone, it's not the Clutch A.

Last edited by ezveedub; 03-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John's MTM Allroad
Just replaced the clutch on my allroad. My RS4 clutch lasted 7k miles before the springs on the pressure plate collapsed. Have put a standard clutch back in for now, $1800 before tax in BC. Don't know if the extra weight of the allroad contributed to the shorter life of the clutch but that was not very long at all. Too many sprints off the line I guess. My original clutch lasted 82k, second one 34k, last one 7k, the cost of that extra 150 hp.
I've heard of the "MTM Allroad" do you have the push guard?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of the "MTM Allroad" do you have the push guard?
Not sure what a push guard is, sorry. I took the original package that included the complete upgrade. The only thing I didn't get was the upgrade on the manifold which was recommended for the biggest upgrade. You can check out my garage to see what I've had done to the car.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there were no symptoms before the failure. this car was maintained properly, making the loss of the tranny confusing to me. really wondered why i was told once or twice that the autos on these cars were garbage, until now..may visit that link on the conversion
Problem is, there is no service interval for the trans per manufacture. and the books say "lifetime fill" which is obviously BS, and by 100k its black as engine oil and stinks like hell. If they did dealer only maintence, garentee it was never serviced once in its life. The transmission electronics are really good at adapting shift quality with loss of fluid quality. Thus never detecting any loss of shift quality over the fluid life.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Problem is, there is no service interval for the trans per manufacture. and the books say "lifetime fill" which is obviously BS, and by 100k its black as engine oil and stinks like hell. If they did dealer only maintence, garentee it was never serviced once in its life. The transmission electronics are really good at adapting shift quality with loss of fluid quality. Thus never detecting any loss of shift quality over the fluid life.
In my experience and from what my friend at ZF states, ATF changes will not guarantee the transmission from lasting any longer than one that did not has any. Most of the 5HP19FLA transmission suffer from either a bad torque converter seal or the cracked D/G drum. The fluid in my transmission was black at 142K miles, but it did not have any wear in the transmission. It wasn't burn't either or smell toasted. All my clutches were still fine. The wear was minimal if any and the all the rubber seals were still fine as well. If something takes a dump in a ZF, it's either a mechanical failure of a hard part or an electrical part, but almost never any worn out components from lack of ATF changes. Most authorized ZF shops will know exactly what each transmission failures are and there is usually an updated part to correct this. Only under extreme conditions, like high ambient temps or towing, is where the ATF needs to be replaced and that would be around 75K miles.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Any DTC codes? Does it move at all? Limp mode will default to 3rd gear I believe. Unusual for two gears to go out at the same time for mechanical failure. I just rebuilt mine, since the reverse was weak. The D drum is a known mechanical failure (weak or no reverse) along with torque converter seal, both of which I replaced.

Going over the ZF clutch chart data, the only thing 1 & 2 gear have in common is the G brake. It's the same drum as the D brake, just the opposite side. It might have failed, but uncommon to cracking, since the housing is super thick on the G brake side. It could be the G brake solenoid on the valve body. If so, that's repairable simply by dropping the pan and filter, BUT, I'm not finding a solenoid dedicated to 1 & 2 gear only. They are tied in with other gears as well.

Clutch A is for 1 & 2 gear, but also 3 & 4 gear too. If only 1 & 2 are gone, it's not the Clutch A.
Solenoid N88 would effect R,N,D1,D2 and D5. If he hasn't got up to overdrive speed then may not know whether D5 is working or not. Pressure control valve N93 would also only effect R,N,D1, and D2. If 'R' works then neither of these fit and it is something else.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John's MTM Allroad
Not sure what a push guard is, sorry. I took the original package that included the complete upgrade. The only thing I didn't get was the upgrade on the manifold which was recommended for the biggest upgrade. You can check out my garage to see what I've had done to the car.
MTM made a push bar "low profile brush guard" for their allroad. its on their website
Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Solenoid N88 would effect R,N,D1,D2 and D5. If he hasn't got up to overdrive speed then may not know whether D5 is working or not. Pressure control valve N93 would also only effect R,N,D1, and D2. If 'R' works then neither of these fit and it is something else.
I havnt got up to speed enough to test 5th its currwently at my shop. I dont know how deep my mechanic looked at it, but is good nonetheless. I'll run this by him

Quick Reply: Transmission failure at 130k?