Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Transmission trouble. I help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission trouble. I help needed.

I just got an 03 Allroad thats making feel stupid for buying it. I'm told by a Audi Enthusiast that is not a bad tranny but to me it is. When I 1st start the car I have reverse and I can pull off with hesitation. But when the car warms up after 10 to 15 mins reverse is almost totally gone. What could the problem be if its not the Transmission? I smell a little oil burning not sure yet if it is engine oil or tranny... I bought this car with the hope that its a easy fix.... Please help! Thanks for and help in advance...
Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nope. That's a bad tranni.
Maybe look into 517 Transmissions to do a rebuild?
Or go to QuattroWorld and find a guy named Tozo. He might be able to help you. He is a wizard. Obviously for a fee.
A common flaw in the TIP is everything including the reverse gear having trouble when the car gets old.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the problem, but it does sound like a tranny rebuild is in your future. Hopefully you didn't pay much for it b/c this is going to cost $3k+ to get repaired. On the bright side, once it is rebuilt correctly then you should be good for years to come.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Sorry to hear about the problem, but it does sound like a tranny rebuild is in your future. Hopefully you didn't pay much for it b/c this is going to cost $3k+ to get repaired. On the bright side, once it is rebuilt correctly then you should be good for years to come.
Years to come . . . except you've got the rest of the car to break. These cars are f-ing evil. I just gave up and traded for a passat wagon the other day. Was literally having nightmares about the allroad, and after sinking $$$ into it, I finally realized that trend would never stop.

On the bright side, the smell is hopefully just valve cover gaskets, which, if that's what it is, you can just ignore like many of the rest of us do unless it gets to leak too much :P
Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mae
Years to come . . . except you've got the rest of the car to break. These cars are f-ing evil. I just gave up and traded for a passat wagon the other day. Was literally having nightmares about the allroad, and after sinking $$$ into it, I finally realized that trend would never stop.

On the bright side, the smell is hopefully just valve cover gaskets, which, if that's what it is, you can just ignore like many of the rest of us do unless it gets to leak too much :P
doesnt the passat also have the same tranny as the allroad? 5hp-19f? except its FWD or awd if you got that 4 motion.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7taudi
doesnt the passat also have the same tranny as the allroad? 5hp-19f? except its FWD or awd if you got that 4 motion.
I don't think they had the same tranny . . . even the A6 didn't have all the tranny issues of the allroad as far as I've heard. Anyway, got an '08 passat, so different story, and certified.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mae
I don't think they had the same tranny . . . even the A6 didn't have all the tranny issues of the allroad as far as I've heard. Anyway, got an '08 passat, so different story, and certified.
The A6 did have the same ZF 5HP19FL/FLA transmission as well as Passats, Some A6s also have the ZF 5HP24FLA transmission also, but the Allroad only came with the 5HP19FLA and the A6 has the same issues as the Allroad.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The A6 did have the same ZF 5HP19FL/FLA transmission as well as Passats, Some A6s also have the ZF 5HP24FLA transmission also, but the Allroad only came with the 5HP19FLA and the A6 has the same issues as the Allroad.
Oh well. It's like a million lbs (4200 lbs, actually) are off my shoulders to be rid of the nightmare. Some seem to be easy riding w/ few problems, but sounds like more of them are not that easy, and mine was just one thing after another Horrible experience.

Anyway, I thought the tranny issues got better with the later allroad models, but dunno for sure. The '08 Passat must be totally different tranny . . . right?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mae
Oh well. It's like a million lbs (4200 lbs, actually) are off my shoulders to be rid of the nightmare. Some seem to be easy riding w/ few problems, but sounds like more of them are not that easy, and mine was just one thing after another Horrible experience.

Anyway, I thought the tranny issues got better with the later allroad models, but dunno for sure. The '08 Passat must be totally different tranny . . . right?
Yeah, an 08 Passat is totally different all together. Not the same setup what so ever. Its only the earlier Passats from 98 to about 04 that use ZF transmission with powertrains like the A6. The later Allroads, like 04 onward had more improved ZF parts. The D/G drum was one issue for reverse, but the torque converter seal plagued all of them I believe. For me it's not an issue, since I can rebuild the ZF transmission, but for a normal consumer, it can be costly.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Yeah, an 08 Passat is totally different all together. Not the same setup what so ever. Its only the earlier Passats from 98 to about 04 that use ZF transmission with powertrains like the A6. The later Allroads, like 04 onward had more improved ZF parts. The D/G drum was one issue for reverse, but the torque converter seal plagued all of them I believe. For me it's not an issue, since I can rebuild the ZF transmission, but for a normal consumer, it can be costly.
Where are you located, BTW? You obviously know a lot. So, did those earlier Passats have a lot of tranny problems? I thought the TQ issue was more specific to the allroads, but you obviously know more. I was looking at earlier Passats, but worried about starting from scratch fixing a bunch of stuff like I did with the AR, though I finally realized that AR was never gonna stop. Seemed cost effective to get a newer, lower mileage, certified car, while I try to focus on some emotional recovery from my allroad's constant sucking of my soul. If I got another older car, I figured I may just start pouring $$ into that and end up in the same predicament.

Quick Reply: Transmission trouble. I help needed.