Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Transmission trouble. I help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all comes down to parts or payments...I, for example, just paid for parts i.e. Axle shaft, VC gaskets, Cam plugs..and proud of it, because in the long run, these relatively inexpensive parts will keep a car of this kind on the road for decades to come..and yes I said decades, if One were to be so inclined...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mae
Where are you located, BTW? You obviously know a lot. So, did those earlier Passats have a lot of tranny problems? I thought the TQ issue was more specific to the allroads, but you obviously know more. I was looking at earlier Passats, but worried about starting from scratch fixing a bunch of stuff like I did with the AR, though I finally realized that AR was never gonna stop. Seemed cost effective to get a newer, lower mileage, certified car, while I try to focus on some emotional recovery from my allroad's constant sucking of my soul. If I got another older car, I figured I may just start pouring $$ into that and end up in the same predicament.
I'm located total opposite side of the country from you. When it comes to the Allroad, it can be a pretty penny for most, but if you know the ins and outs, and purposely want the car, you know what to look for. Remember, the Allroad was design with offroading in mind, that's why it has air suspension and a shorter ring and pinion to deliver more torque. Also, the air suspension precedes the D3 A8, which in comparison, has the same repairs needed as an Allroad over time. The transmission in the Allroad also suffers from the same issues as the D2 A8, S6 and RS6, but since those cars are more exclusive, owners will pay to repair them, while the Allroad was a cheaper model with the same issue, most don't put much money into them. Also, the suspension parts on the Allroad (lower control arms) are different than any other model (bigger bushings for offroad), so they also cost more. Upper control arms are the same though. I would not recommend an Allroad to anyone, UNLESS they are really into the car. It's no different than some owners with Mercedes Benz SL 107 or 129 chassis car. I see people dump money into repairing the convertible top on those cars, yet, the rest of car looks like crap. It's simply a owner loyalty thing.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The A6 did have the same ZF 5HP19FL/FLA transmission as well as Passats, Some A6s also have the ZF 5HP24FLA transmission also, but the Allroad only came with the 5HP19FLA and the A6 has the same issues as the Allroad.
yes the v8's had the 24 which had more problems than the 19 lol. the whole tranny would fail on those. in the 19 i believe its just the torque conveter and reverse. although i do not hear too much about the reverse. is it really that big of a deal? i hear the torque conveter and its something i am not planning to spend on my a6. is there anything that can be done to help these 2 problems? frequent oil changes any oil additives?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7taudi
yes the v8's had the 24 which had more problems than the 19 lol. the whole tranny would fail on those. in the 19 i believe its just the torque conveter and reverse. although i do not hear too much about the reverse. is it really that big of a deal? i hear the torque conveter and its something i am not planning to spend on my a6. is there anything that can be done to help these 2 problems? frequent oil changes any oil additives?
Nothing is going to save the TC or reverse. Tranny fluid/filter changes at 60k intervals may delay it and will be good for the rest of the tranny. Easy going when in reverse is not a bad idea to help with the drum.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The torque converter seal material that ZF used was not very good. They revised the seal in the replacement torque converters though, so it's supposed to last and not fall apart. I have pics of the broken seal on mine.
Frequent ATF oil changes will not save it IMO.

As for the D/G brake drum, I heard they reduced the machining depth where the clip that holds the brake/clutch plates inside of it, so it has more metal on the end and should not crack with the newer version. The D/G drum was revised a little earlier in production transmissions than the seal in the torque converter, so there may not be as many issues out there to report. The tranny uses the D/G drum circuit when slowing down also, not just reverse. On the BMWs, when the D/G drum fails, its no reverse at all, since the edge breaks off completely. The Allroad uses a giant c-clip that holds the drum in the case, so when the drum cracks, the clip holds the edges in place, so you end up with a weak reverse. Eventually, the D circuit piston o-ring gets cut from hyper extending in the cracked drum and then you loose reverse all together.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Nothing is going to save the TC or reverse. Tranny fluid/filter changes at 60k intervals may delay it and will be good for the rest of the tranny. Easy going when in reverse is not a bad idea to help with the drum.
that.is.not.what.i.wanted.to.hear! lol. so this torque conveter problem is suppose to happen on all 5hp-19? what about the FWD 2.8 2001?

when this fails what is a good idea to do? rebuild or new? level ten does rebuilds for 500 and so does 517 tran. who/what would be the best candidate?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The torque converter seal material that ZF used was not very good. They revised the seal in the replacement torque converters though, so it's supposed to last and not fall apart. I have pics of the broken seal on mine.
Frequent ATF oil changes will not save it IMO.

As for the D/G brake drum, I heard they reduced the machining depth where the clip that holds the brake/clutch plates inside of it, so it has more metal on the end and should not crack with the newer version. The D/G drum was revised a little earlier in production transmissions than the seal in the torque converter, so there may not be as many issues out there to report. The tranny uses the D/G drum circuit when slowing down also, not just reverse. On the BMWs, when the D/G drum fails, its no reverse at all, since the edge breaks off completely. The Allroad uses a giant c-clip that holds the drum in the case, so when the drum cracks, the clip holds the edges in place, so you end up with a weak reverse. Eventually, the D circuit piston o-ring gets cut from hyper extending in the cracked drum and then you loose reverse all together.
wow you seem very knowledgeable in your transmission area! if i ever have problem i know who to come to lol
Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7taudi
that.is.not.what.i.wanted.to.hear! lol. so this torque conveter problem is suppose to happen on all 5hp-19? what about the FWD 2.8 2001?

when this fails what is a good idea to do? rebuild or new? level ten does rebuilds for 500 and so does 517 tran. who/what would be the best candidate?
Ahh, those guys charge a lot more than where I get my parts from. And my supplier is an authorized ZF rebuilder.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ahh, those guys charge a lot more than where I get my parts from. And my supplier is an authorized ZF rebuilder.
wow and who is that?

so these 2 companies are not zf certified? then what company should i go to for a rebuild?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rohit13
wow and who is that?

so these 2 companies are not zf certified? then what company should i go to for a rebuild?
Check out Eriksson Industries. Not much on the site, since they mainly deal with shops and/or techs in the business, not much on walk-in retail customers. My colleague from ZF referred me to them. Are you trying to get a complete rebuild or just a torque converter? They usually have some rebuilts in stock, but when I checked a few weeks ago when ordering parts, they had a 10 business day back log from the time the unit is ordered. They may be caught up by now though.

http://erikssonindustries.com/

Last edited by ezveedub; 02-19-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission trouble. I help needed.