Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

The ultimate blind suspension comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ultimate blind suspension comparison...

So, I think I 402 modded the allroad this evening, but I'm not sure?

I meant to do the mod, and went through the whole process, but I had the engine on while doing it.

Neb suggested that the ignition be on, and the engine be off, so I'm not sure whether it worked or not. The Bentley manual also says the ignition should be on, but does not mention whether the engine can be running. By the time I had finished "browsing" other modules and seeing what measurements I could read, it had become too dark for me to measure the real change in ride height with a ruler. As I only tried to drop the car 12mm, and did the same distance all around, the visible difference is hard to see in the dark.

Upon testdriving, I <i>think</i> the car rolls less and bounces more in level 1, but I'm not sure if I'm just fooling myself. I also think level 3 (my norm for cruising bad neighborhood streets) feels stiffer than before. Then again, everything feels taught after the last couple of days driving the thing loaded with ski gear and people.

So in the end, I'm left trying to decide if I've succeeded in dropping the car by evaluating the difference in ride alone. My conclusion is that I actually have dropped it, as noted by a slightly bouncier feel and a less pronounced roll. I diddn't have time to take the car up the one stretch of road that will reveal all handling weaknesses and strengths, so I can't say yet how much <i>faster</i> the car is like this... but I can say that it's not at all uncomfortable. So, I figure it'll stay this way for a while. =)

Thanks to all who helped show the way!
Old 01-05-2003, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

If you lower 12mm, you WILL see the diff @ level 1 -- good luck!
Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 AM

Default let's check it out

Itacud; Since we might do something on the phone cradle thing - maybe we should hook up and take a look at your mod on the suspension. We could do back to back drives of my non-402 with your 402ed car.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd have to get permission... =)

....since the car is actually my girlfriend's daily driver. She let's me do whatever I want to it, but occasionaly she reminds me who's car it actually it.

But, if you're 402 inclined at all, I can bring over my Hex-Com interface... it's a dongle that automatically registers any download of VAG-COM, so that no extra purchase is required. (Ofcourse, said installation of VAG-COM can only be used with that Hex-Com thereafter.)

Regarding the phone cradle: LMGOTTS is going to take pictures and let us know if the phone can flip open with the A6 cradle. I had read somewhere that there's a lip to prevent this, but we'll find out for sure.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you notice the larger fender gap in front, than in the rear?
Old 01-05-2003, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

think that is why milpitas 2.7t and nebuchadnezzar and some others lowered front more then rear
Old 01-05-2003, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What confuses me is that the measurements are supposed to be taken the same way... front and rear.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes your right, did you check measurements before lowering car? maybe front didn't lower the same

as the rear? if i am right w/the rim being 18.5(that is what my dual spoke is)inches and all my calculations are right in the 2nd position you should be 6 9/16" from top of rim to bottom of fender flare and an inch lower in level 1 so 12 mm lower should leave you at 6 3/32" in level 2. maybe the level was out of whack before lowering and you didn't notice it at that height?
Old 01-05-2003, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I measured before, and found 3 wheels were the same, with one wheel drooping (dip in the pavement).

I diddn't, however, bother to look carefully at the fender gaps.

Since all the others have lowered more in front than in back, I assume they notice a difference in fender gaps also. It still seems odd to me, since we're measuring from wheel to fender. Hopefully it's just an optical illusion... ?