Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Upper control arm bushings cracked...wtf???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper control arm bushings cracked...wtf???

So, to my earlier post below, took the car into Wheel Works today to check out the clunk that was coming from my front suspension. They put the car up and took a look and noticed the upper control arm bushings were cracked and suggested that may have been the cause. They didn't see anything else that suggested a problem. The strange thing about that is my local Audi dealer replaced the upper control arm bushings on both sides back in September, under warranty, at the same time they essentially replaced the entire air suspension system other than the two rear air springs. How is that possible that the upper control arm bushings are shot after 3 months and only a few thousand miles? Anyway, dropped the car off at the Audi dealer and they'll take a look at it when they open on Monday. Didn't give me a whole lot of comfort since the dealer in question is the same one that had its entire inventory of new/used/service cars keyed last week. Can only hope the jerks that did that don't return again over the weekend.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If they tightend the bolts without loading the suspension it very well could have toasted them
Old 12-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Yep common insatallation error.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You'd like to think an Audi dealer would know better....

Hope they don't try to give me the run around and make up some excuse like they were caused by the aftermarket H Sport sway bars.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension was not pre-loaded that's for sure; Dealer let non-allroad certified techs work on our

cars which sucks big time; the only thing you can do is leave a note on the seat or dash to remind the Tech about pre-loading the suspension.

Since it is under warranty, it shouldn't cause too much headache for you.....just try to stay on top of these guys :-)
Old 12-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I am about to replace the upper control arms.

What do I need to know?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default when you tighten the 16mm inner bolts you should either lower the car back onto its suspension in

level 2 or jack up the the spindle to simulate the suspension under load. I usually bring the hub even with the bottom of the door and tighten.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

impossible but you may have a clue as to why you are frequently taking your car to the shop.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you. is it the same for lower as well? I discovered the lower bushing is cracked as well.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Dan, that's defective parts or installation error. Make them R&R under their warranty!

Quick Reply: Upper control arm bushings cracked...wtf???