Using car despite air suspension leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Mzg
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using car despite air suspension leak

Hi,

My '02 allroad with 190'km (ca 120' miles) on it has developed a fairly slow air leak, causing the driver's side rear to sag after leaving it overnight.

I was therefore wondering whether or not I should leave the car parked as much as possible until I can get this fixed, or if I could continue using it? Will the air compressor go bad really quick if I keep using it in this state?

I am considering changing to Arnott bags in the rear, if it turns out the bag itself is leaking.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll give it a shot, although a newbie here myself. My friend who runs the Euro service business told me under the exact same circumstances that I should do the repair and he ordered me Arnott's for the front, both sides. He always does bot sides rather than just one.

He told me constant running of the compressor will kill the compressor.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The compressor cannot run "constantly", because it has an overheat sensor that shuts it off every couple of minutes. That said, using the compressor more than the original system design calls for (such as with even slowly leaking airbags), can reduce compressor life and also stress the suspension control module, which is another pricey part of the system.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This isn't going to be one of those forums I hope. So I could better understand the system, my friend sent me a link to Blauparts that explained one of the common pneumatic adjustable suspension issues was "Allroad air suspension compressor continuously running"

Maybe you could drop them a note to clarify their mistake, I simply related what I was told trying to help the guy.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:47 AM
Mzg
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies.

Regardless of whether the compressor runs "constantly" or "with great frequency", the conclusion must be that I might reduce the lifetime of the compressor using the car, and that it should be left alone as much as possible until the issue has been remedied.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I had exact same issue on my wife's '02 allroad - overnight leak to the stop with one of the rear air springs. I felt there was no point to taxing the compressor so ordered a set of Arnotts and left the car parked until they arrived. My indy said a 25 mile trip to his shop should be fine (I could hear the compressor running frequently on the way there). Replaced and all is well now. At least until the fronts start leaking.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would consider this manufacturer, too!

2 Years warranty and better track records & experiences (the picture shows the front one)

Audi A6 C5 4B Allroad Quattro Luftfeder 4Z7616051D Luftfederung Original Design | eBay
Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Arnott has a lifetime warranty, many years in business with a good reputation and excellent customer service. Never heard of that other brand but then, I don't speak German.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Lifetime warranty only if you purchase directly from Arnott. Buy from a secondary dealer (or have a mechanic shop buy) and you have no warranty.

I just installed front Arnott bags that I purchased direct.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Try parking and leaving (and even driving it) in level 3 or 4...in my experience the leaks would be in a crease when the car was on 1 or 2. Just so you can get around; it's not a fix by any means.

The pump will start to be very noisy when it has had it with trying to keep air in the leaky bag. Replacing the pump is easy (IMO) and a DIY thang.

100% agree with the others on Arnotts with their warranty....though I just replaced bags when they went, not in pairs. Still have 1 original rear bag at 212K miles !

Quick Reply: Using car despite air suspension leak