Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

vibration at 60mph+ fixed :)!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default vibration at 60mph+ fixed :)!

ive had the classic allroad vibration at higway speeds.

well, i checked... 1.all 4 cv joints,
2. passengers outer boot was torn, fixed it, god darn pinch bolt! btw, you need to move the tire up and down and in and out to get that dam thing out.its just like a expandable blade pin on blackhawk. WD 40 and windex worked great to for me.
3. no other play in any other of the cv shafts that was beyond limits. 4.bushings were replaced as needed, all around.
5.main driveshaft had the standard play in all directions, nothing to note on that.
6.all four airbags were in good shape.
7. tires were all at the same pressure.
8.rims were all ok, not bent.
9. went through with vag com, i did the steering angle zero, because it fixed a vibration between 45 and 65 issue last year when i swapped from summers to new winters and something got jacked up at sears. need to buy a tire changer and balancer btw...

so, guess what caused the vibration,....
Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im guessing the bushings
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

nope, wife put fix a flat in the rear drives side and never told me. that fixed it. not to mention that there was good amount of water in the tires from using a non filtered air compressor to fill the tires."local gas station"...

the shop that i had the tires balanced said that its pretty common. esp with fix a flat. and when the water fix a flat gets slung inside the tire, it will cause a vibration as if you almost had a bent rim or a tire way out of balance.

check your tires if you have the dreaded vibraton first.and have the shop remove the tire from the rim.i had a few bad bushings, a bad cv and ect, none of it fixed it, just the tire balance. "K.I.S.S"
Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that you mentioned this.....

My daughter and I spent her second summer at college working on a VW Beetle for her in San Diego where I lived at the time - her college was in Savannah Georgia, so the plan was to drive cross country together after the car was done, visiting friends and family along the way. About 1,000 miles into the trip we started getting a terrible wheel vibration so we took it to a tire shop to have them balanced, they could not get one tire to balance out so they popped it off the rim - sure enough, full of green slime. After cleaning the rim, remounting the tire and rebalancing it rolled smooth. However, we had to turn around and go right back again after we hit the hiway. VW Beetles are very sensitive to lug nut torque and they had just run them up with an impact wrench. When torqued properly the car ran smooth the whole rest of the trip - 4,000 miles total!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

cool, whats the tq on our lugs anyway?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

90 lb ft IIRC
Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by choptt
ive had the classic allroad vibration at higway speeds.

well, i checked... 1.all 4 cv joints,
2. passengers outer boot was torn, fixed it, god darn pinch bolt! btw, you need to move the tire up and down and in and out to get that dam thing out.its just like a expandable blade pin on blackhawk. WD 40 and windex worked great to for me.
3. no other play in any other of the cv shafts that was beyond limits. 4.bushings were replaced as needed, all around.
5.main driveshaft had the standard play in all directions, nothing to note on that.
6.all four airbags were in good shape.
7. tires were all at the same pressure.
8.rims were all ok, not bent.
9. went through with vag com, i did the steering angle zero, because it fixed a vibration between 45 and 65 issue last year when i swapped from summers to new winters and something got jacked up at sears. need to buy a tire changer and balancer btw...

so, guess what caused the vibration,....
what is "the steering angle zero"? Please, educate me a bit.
Thanks.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...ringangle.html
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. Now have to find a member with VAG-COM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

just buy one, i have saved thousands of dollars with vag com over the years,

Quick Reply: vibration at 60mph+ fixed :)!