Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

The washers broke, but at least the wipers are awful

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought on the 02 and newer allroads there are no replacement wiper blades other than OEM?

My wipers don't work that well in the cold either. They both miss a spot in the center unless they have absolutely no ice on them and are warmed up. The passenger side blade has always left a 3" or so unwiped spot basically right in the middle of it's path, even in the summer. I may just get new blades to see if that is the problem, I'm not sure how old the current ones are. But they do work fine in the rain other than the missed spot on passenger side.

On the washers, mine ususally work ok but will freeze up sometimes in the morning. I saw on the list of allroad features that later models came stock with 'heatable windshield washer nozzles'. Anyone confirm what that means and if they are actually heated?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
I thought on the 02 and newer allroads there are no replacement wiper blades other than OEM?

My wipers don't work that well in the cold either. They both miss a spot in the center unless they have absolutely no ice on them and are warmed up. The passenger side blade has always left a 3" or so unwiped spot basically right in the middle of it's path, even in the summer. I may just get new blades to see if that is the problem, I'm not sure how old the current ones are. But they do work fine in the rain other than the missed spot on passenger side.

On the washers, mine ususally work ok but will freeze up sometimes in the morning. I saw on the list of allroad features that later models came stock with 'heatable windshield washer nozzles'. Anyone confirm what that means and if they are actually heated?
My 04 has heated nozzles.They just keep them from freezing.I just got done installing 2 Hotshot units on 2 of my cars.They work great.I wish I did it years ago
Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, it's OEM or nothing with my '04. $45 from the dealer a month ago. The right one, even only a few weeks old, is already leaving that characteristic blank spot in front of the passenger. Feh.

The car spent the night in the garage and the washers are back, so obviously it was a freezing issue. I ran the pump for a while and used up much of the fluid and dumped in some fresh stuff that is rated to -40 degrees or something, so I expect that'll be the end of the problems. I don't know where the frozen part was--if the nozzles are heated, it definitely wasn't there. I suspect it was in the line somewhere.

It was about 8 degrees when all this happened, but it's warmed up into the 20s now here in Cleveland. I'm thinking I might order up some 2001 allroad wiper arms and be done with the OEM wipers and see if that helps.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just an FYI out there, BMW makes wiper inserts that fit the '01 blades (curved one and all). They run about $4.00 a piece, just make sure you get the correct size(there are 2 different widths, I think Audi's take the narrow one.) They are universal in size, just cut the steel insert & then the rubber approx .25" longer than the steel!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last night I emptied out all the cheap blue fluid put in by the dealer I bought the car from, refilled with RainX De-icer fluid. Then ran it until all the old stuff was gone and the RainX was spraying. Got up this morning to temps in the teens and all nozzles firing no problem.

Will those BMW inserts fit '05 blades?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't know about the '05, if it is the "AERO" style then no, if it is a traditional looking wiper then yes.