Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Water coming in cabin air filter after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water coming in cabin air filter after car wash

It pours into the passenger side, what diverts water that runs down the windshield? There is a black plastic flange with a slot that clips into a groove on the bottom of the windshield, is it that or does the plastic piece needs to be sealed to the windshield?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Take out the battery, there is a drain hole there. Probably gummed up with junk and has never been cleaned out.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll give that a shot, thanks~
Old 09-18-2013, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Take out the battery, there is a drain hole there. Probably gummed up with junk and has never been cleaned out.
it was pretty nasty, i silicon-ed the plastic trim to the glass as well, will see what the story is.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cameltrophyallroad
it was pretty nasty, i silicon-ed the plastic trim to the glass as well, will see what the story is.
I am not sure which piece you silicones to the windshield. Are you talking about the plastic cover that runs the length of the windshield? If so, it's a mistake as it won't do anything.

All the water runs off the windshield and collects in the area of the cowl where the battery sits. There is a drain under the battery, it is important that it is not plugged up. That is all.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with Cameltrophyallroad on this one, When it is in a downpour or I am driving into the wind when raining the floor gets wet (pass side) My drain tube is clear, If you remove the glove box and look around that area and run water around the cabin filter it drips inside,
I would like to put silicone around the filter box but don't know how to get around the back of it, Don't want to make it worse
Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Every one should check this drain!

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Add this to your quarterly maintenance list. Especially if you have trees that drop small crud. I lost an ECU and had a mildew problem due to this drain. The battery "box" fills with water and dumps into the cabin.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Defective plenum cover

Originally Posted by cameltrophyallroad
It pours into the passenger side, what diverts water that runs down the windshield? There is a black plastic flange with a slot that clips into a groove on the bottom of the windshield, is it that or does the plastic piece needs to be sealed to the windshield?
That plastic piece across the windshield is called the plenum cover or plenum chamber cover.

Water will seep under it and flow directly into the cabin air filter on the right side. When the car is new it is sealed to the windshield and water flows over it and not under. Even if water gets under it, there should be a seal under it at blocks the water from flowing down into the filter area.

Even if your drain is clear, water will still come in if the seal is defective. I had the same problem with my 2002 Allroad. I seal the entire width of it and also around the cabin air filter shroud. 8 months no and now leak.