Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Wet driver's side footwell from leaking, after car wash and rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet driver's side footwell from leaking, after car wash and rain

While I can find lots of posts on wet passenger's side front and rear carpet, I haven't seen too many reports on driver's side footwell.

Water seems to have leaked into the car from behind the gas paddle. Help please!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default May have come from windshield leaky gasket and then run behind the dash?

I'm just taking wild guesses of things to check. Check the sunroof. Maybe via the vent / air conditioning system? I'd have someone spray the car with lots of water with you on the inside with a flashlight looking for any leaks.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Clogged sunroof drain did the same to me.

Definitely check the sunroof, I had a similar problem on the driver side after one of the drains for the sunroof became clogged with grease from the track. I opened up the sunroof to get a look at it and sure enough water had pooled around the opening to the drain. The water had backed-up, ran down the a-pillar and ended up on the floor. I used a 5ft piece of copper wire to unclog the drain line.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Thanks very much, sunroof drain seems to be partially blocked

But not severe enough to cause all the water. Dealer service advisor also said it could be the filter below the battery?

Will bring car in for full check up.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default mental note to add to maintenance list

You learn something new every day. After over a year ownership I didn't know we had a drain pipe in the sunroof. If it's in the manual it must be near the end part I never got to :-) I should pick it up again!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Found the problem

Originally Posted by R230
While I can find lots of posts on wet passenger's side front and rear carpet, I haven't seen too many reports on driver's side footwell.

Water seems to have leaked into the car from behind the gas paddle. Help please!
its all coming from hose taking sunroof water down.its 2 pieces right by dash area and being clogged by foilage, it seeps into dash and dripps into emergency break release handle to floor carpet
Old 07-10-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a lot of water coming from the area near the vents onto my feet every time I took a right turn (and the water was hot from the heater core). After the indy shop checked and cleared all the drains (this was not from rain, the weather was dry), it ended up being a leaky heater core.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue. There is a drain in the battery compartment under the battery you need to remove the battery and the plate to see it (two in that area in fact) so it causes water to pool under the battery and spills over when you make a sharp corner on both sides. Its fairly easy to access (battery plate (one it sits on) kinds sucks to get out) and to clean out and then your all good.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R230
While I can find lots of posts on wet passenger's side front and rear carpet, I haven't seen too many reports on driver's side foot well.

Lot's of feedback --- so not to pile on with what has been said, but I have had both of the well known drainage issues emerge --- the drain under the battery and the sunroof.
The fix for the drain under the battery is a PITA---- The battery removal is a straight fwd but time consuming process.
The drains for the sunroof - take 10 mins to resolve. - one quick tip....... find a stray "Ethernet cord" - CUT off the rj45 connector. It's a perfect size to clear any of the debris and safer than using a rigid or stiff wire into the tube
if you need pictures / or to be talked thru both of the above fixes - PM me and we can get live
Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live where we have lots of foliage every year, so cleaning the drain under the battery was a yearly thing...….I got tired of taking the plate out so the last time I had it out I bored a 2" hole directly above the drain, now all I have to do is remove the battery itself and use the long nozzle for my shop vac to clean out the debris.....

Quick Reply: Wet driver's side footwell from leaking, after car wash and rain